CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

'99 4 Door Tahoe SAS Build, “40’s and making them fit”

4door99

Still not allowed in the Jeeper club.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
4door99 submitted a new Build:

'99 4 Door Tahoe SAS Build, "rear bumper build"

View attachment 199985

Well, after some recent persuasion from other members, I've decided to do this build thread for my current project. I'm new to posting on these forums, so bare with me. :grin:
Before I get into the details of the project and how its going, I would like to explain a little about my experience with a Chevy SAS conversion, and also the reason I've now looked up from the busy-every-day life to stop and take time to do this build.
I did this Dana 60, OffRoad Design SAS conversion back in 2012 on a 1996 Suburban with a 6.5 turbo diesel. My plan with it was to be a daily driver as well as a weekend wheeler. Ultimately, one day driving it the 1200 miles to Utah and hitting a few trails in the wheeling mecca of Moab. This would have been the project to have a build thread for!!! I learned a lot on this build, and for the most part it turned out great. I learned how to adjust for death wobble, deal with drive line angles, transfer case to transmission issues, and ultimately the engine NOT to use in my future projects. I drove it as a daily driver and did some wheeling with it. After having endless trouble out of the world famous 6.5 turbo:haha:, I sold the suburban in 2014. View attachment 199980 View attachment 199981 View attachment 199982 View attachment 199983 View attachment 199984
Now to the current project. I mentioned in another thread that I would be turning 40 this year. Realizing you only get to turn 40 once, I decided to take a trip to a place I always wanted to go. Moab. And do it in a vehicle that I put together. So when I discovered Blazer Bash was in September, the month of my birthday, THIS BUILD WAS HAPPENING!!
The goal for it is simple, make it dependable on the street. Enough to make it the 2400 mile round trip. And it needed to be solid and capable enough hit some moderate trails while in Moab (Dana 60 conversion). The suburban was a capable rig, but there was some things i didn't like (which is why it got sold). These issues would drive the direction of this next project. I didn't like the length of the suburban, but did like the SUV and 4 doors. So a Tahoe would be the platform. The ride height was too tall ( 7" of lift), so shooting for 4 to 5 on this one. And ultimately, the engine HAD to be dependable. That was no problem, since most Tahoes of the era came with the 5.7 , a motor that EVERYBODY knows how to work on and...

Read more about this build here...

Last edited by a moderator:

4door99

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Just a little bit of specs and info for this build:
Using a Ford Dana 60 out of an '89 model
14 bolt rear axle from a '00 model chevy van
NP246 transfer case will be replaced with a NP241 manual shift
Offroad Design SAS conversion will be used
2" Tuff Country EZ ride springs up front in hopes to give the 5" of overall lift
H1 Military 24 bolt wheels and 37" Goodyear Wrangler tires will be the rolling stock
5.13 gears will be installed in order to help the 4l60 stay alive
Rear locker will be a MUST, Front locker if the budget doesn't run out first. :grin:

4door99

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
A week ago, I backed it into the garage and got the Tahoe up on jackstands. It was time for all that IFS crap to go! IMG_4219.JPG

Having done this before, I made short work of unbolting all the stock front end components. IMG_4222.JPG But the cutting and the grinding of all the old IFS brackets takes forever and it SUCKS!!! :hack::grind::ignore::angry1: IMG_4238.JPG IMG_4240.JPG

4door99

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
This pic was taken yesterday evening. Offroad Design front spring hangers installed and 2" Tuff Country EZ ride springs bolted to them. Had to remove the warn winch mount because the spring hangers utilize the same bolt holes as the winch mount. Later, if I still plan to use it, I will have to fabricate a way to make the winch mount bolt up differently. IMG_4242.JPG

My plan is before the weekend having the spring hangers completely bolted in and the weight of the Tahoe sitting on the Dana 60 front axle.

Bent77

curmudgeon Status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
In!

I too will be turning 40 this year (Oct) and bringing a new vehicle. Look forward to the thread and Moab.

Nice choice for a birthday present

noJeepshere

I Drove Trains!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
My dad insists that the Suburban is the best vehicle for offroading, but every time we go wheeling in it he drags its fat ass through every gully and wash. Meanwhile, my Yukon goes through it all and I rarely drag on anything. Excellent platform to build on.

78K30

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Excellent! I'll be following this, gathering parts for another SAS myself.

4door99

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay on the project updates, work has had me busy the last couple of weeks. But I have managed to get a few things done.

I drilled the holes and mounted the ORD rear shackles and spring hangers. I recommend a GOOD bit for this project! Don't settle for el cheepo, you will waste a lot of time, energy and frustration. Consider it money well spent!!
IMG_4256[1].JPG

I didn't take pics for this part, but I'm sure everyone on here has bolted in a front axle and tightened some U-bolts. But what I should mention (and should have pictured) was that the spring perch on the driver's side had to be narrowed just a bit to bolt the 2 1/2" wide springs and spring plates. This is a Ford front axle with spring perches that were 3" wide. I just used a flap wheel on the grinder and spent a little time getting it narrow enough so the u-bolts would make it into the plates properly.

Now it was time for the upper shock mounts. I played around with them and finally got them where I thought they needed to be. Then welded them in. My welding is far from great, but it looks ok and it does the job. IMG_4269[1].JPG

Just for fun, I threw a tire on and sat the weight of the Tahoe on it to just kinda see where things were going. I will be using 1 1/2" wheel spacers up front in order to run the H1 wheels at their stock offset. In the future, when the budget allows, I will recenter the H1's. But looking like I'm on the right track for now.
IMG_4268[1].JPG

Of course, I did have a little help: IMG_4275[1].JPG

78K30

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Great update! And good helper, mine is always close to me as I work usually

Top Bottom