CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

Adjusting Shift Points...

Wraparound

Registered Member
Reaction score
Ever since I had my 700r4 rebuilt it has shifted hard from 1st to 2nd, even with slow acceleration. I never really cared until I blew out my rear end while cruising up to tahoe for a wedding. Is the process of adjusting shift points manageable for a transmission-phobic. I never mess with that thing but I want to tone it down a bit. What do you guys think? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

88Silverado

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
The part throttle shift points are set by the TV cable that attaches to the carb or throttle body.
It is adjustable. Having more tension on the cable will shift harder and at higher rpm's. However, there is a minimum pressure required. You must have 2-4psi pressure at idle with the carb plates closed, as you give it the gas, the pressure will come up securing the clutches, if you dont have enough base pressure, you will cook the trans.

The next question is did the rebuilder install a shift kit? If so, that could account for the harder shifts.

The governor controls shifts at WOT.

Heres a link on TV101

Wraparound

Registered Member
Reaction score
They did, but at first it was extreme so they adjusted it. I was looking to lighten things up a bit more but this is one area of the truck that I do not know.

cybrfire

1 ton status
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Your best bet would be to take it back to them and have them adjust it again if they can. Wouldn't want to void your warranty or anything like that.

beater_k20

Banned
Reaction score
firm shifts are a good thing. a smooth shifting trans is a slipping trans, it will shorten the life of a trans in a hurry.

Wraparound

Registered Member
Reaction score
Warrenty is long gone. Firm is good, banging on slow accel is bad /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Top Bottom