CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Antenna Location

readymix

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
Mine is mounted to the lid of my toolbox.
REAR_VIEW_CB_fs.jpg

gnihcraes

Registered Member
Reaction score
Mirror Mount is all I've ever used on my trucks, no holes in body. Keeps height at a minimum and easy to move to other vehicles if you sell it. see attached photo.
antenna.jpg

dsmd58

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
are you running a firestick? if so, how do you like it?

simplysigns

Registered Member
Reaction score
From what I understand... the best place to mount an antenna is in the center of the vehicle and at least a foot or more over the vehicle. And have a good ground. The ground is the key. I always run a ground wire straight to the negative on the battery. Might be over kill but that is where your ground comes from. So why not go to the source. Now if you have a CB that can put out some power. You can usually mount it anywhere. BUT make sure you have a good ground!!!

88Silverado

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I mounted mine on the back corner of the body, using one of the old corner molding holes. Doesnt get knocked around that way.

Make sure it has a good ground to the "body" of the vehicle. You want an "RF" ground to the body, not a "DC" ground to the battery for antenna return currents. They are two different types of grounds.

cb.jpg

Yobtaf

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I mounted mine on the back corner of the body, using one of the old corner molding holes. Doesnt get knocked around that way.

Make sure it has a good ground to the "body" of the vehicle. You want an "RF" ground to the body, not a "DC" ground to the battery for antenna return currents. They are two different types of grounds.

cb.jpg

hey Chuck I was gonna do the same thing you did. I have a 102 whip, I also have that spring. do you think I should run the spring or just the ss whip?

88Silverado

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
The 102 bangs around waaaay too much for me when I go off road.
The spring makes it a little more forgiving when you want to bend it over to tie it down :)

scouthead

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
couldn't help myself. had to make it look like a radio antenna on steroids. My new windshield has the old style antenna in the glass, so I plugged my radio into that instead... doesn't get as good of reception, but I listen to cds mostly anyways.

CB antenna.jpg

CB antenna (1).jpg

cdoggwsu

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Mine came with NMO roof mounts (ex-forest service) so I'll be using those. The only downside is overhead clearance but what can you do.

IMAG0037.jpg

dsmd58

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
so if i am mounting one to my rear bumper, how much above the roofline should it be? im wondering how long of a firestik to get...

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
so if i am mounting one to my rear bumper, how much above the roofline should it be? im wondering how long of a firestik to get...

Well you need to be at least a foot above, but 4' above would be ideal, anything more would most likely be overkill, I have mine 4' above and my range is the max for my tuning.

Kyle89K5

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I did a Wilson 1000 Roof Mag Mount. Never knocked it off. It unscrews and there is a plastic cover the screws on it in seconds, for those "low clearance" moments. Perfect Ground Plane being on the roof, had great receptions. Used it with my President Grant for years. Was tricky running 36" tires and 5" of lift going into parking garages, but I made do ;)

KP

JPOutfitters

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I have a K40 mag mount mounted centerline between the rear doors of my Burb. The K40 just twists off for clearance issues and for anti-theft reasons! It works really well and tuning it is a breeze......SWR is 1.25 or so:D

Blue85

Yooper
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
There is no perfect solution unless you somehow have no potential clearance issues.

-Anything but mounted in the center of the roof compromises performance.
-A mag mount on the hood is OK for temporary use or a hand-held CB.
-Bumper and fender mounts are pretty directional.
-A mag mount often makes you pinch the cable in a door or something and then you have to figure out where to put the darn thing when you are pulling into your garage or under low branches.
-If you can't clear your garage with the roof-mount then your CB isn't really "full-time" since you won't really put it on and take it off every trip.
-Dual mirror-mounts are a PITA for wiring and the cable will eventually break.

So you have to pick your poison.

I am kind of leaning towards drilling a hole in the roof for the antenna and mounting the CB in the overhead console. Then keep the whip under the back or wherever until I plan a road trip or trail ride. Does anybody make a "rubber duck" CB antenna that is safe for the radio to transmit into? I have like 3" clearance in the garage and I could run the little antenna just so the radio isn't sitting there completely worthless.

Blue85

Yooper
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Hey, what about mounting the antennas right into the mirror casings? For mirrors like this:
main.JPG

Instead of using one of those clamp-on brackets with the bolts sticking out and coax hanging out - put the insulated stud right through the little stainless housing on the side of the door. Then the cable can be routed inside the mirror mount and you would never see it. Anybody ever analyze the amount of space in there?

munepit

3/4 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Hey, what about mounting the antennas right into the mirror casings? For mirrors like this:
main.JPG

Instead of using one of those clamp-on brackets with the bolts sticking out and coax hanging out - put the insulated stud right through the little stainless housing on the side of the door. Then the cable can be routed inside the mirror mount and you would never see it. Anybody ever analyze the amount of space in there?

Here is mine. It works good!

DSCF2179.JPG

DSCF2185.JPG

DSCF2184.JPG

DSCF2213.JPG

DSCF2222.JPG

munepit

3/4 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
The casing itself it pretty thin. If you mount it directly to the casing, I dont think it would work that good. The casing has a rubber seal hooked to the body. Mounted like I have, Its grounded to the body.

I think.

Top Bottom