CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Anyone had luck with the "grass that grows anywhere" stuff? (AS SEEN ON TV)

AJMBLAZER

Better to be lucky than good.
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, not THAT kind of grass...

My house is 50 years old, has no gutters, we're on top of about 500' of glacial till sand, it was a rental for several years before we bought it...all that adds up to I am having trouble getting grass (or anything other than a few weeds) to grow in several random decent sized spots and also along the foundation of the house in one place.

I bought the grass seeds the local hardware said would grow anywhere and really fast too...basically got nothing out of it on the spots next to the garage.

Transplanted some sod from the dog house area to next to the house and maybe half took root and survived.

Anybody used the stuff I keep seeing on TV that will supposedly grow anywhere? They show it growing on top of a cinder block.

Right now I'm looking for coverage and not golf course putting green quality material. Half the yard is weeds anyways...hey, at least they're green...
Any suggestions?

daleearnhardt01

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
PATCH PERFECT!!! That stuff makes me laugh everytime.. 20 bucks for 50 sq ft... absolutely absurd.. All it is is seed coated in cellulose with a little fert...

Go get some Rye seed (fast germination) and some Penn Mulch to throw down and you'll have the same damn thing.... Seeds with a cellulose/fert mulch on top that retains moisture, protects the seeds, and provides some fert.. I'd throw some starter fert down at the same time as the Penn Mulch doesnt have all that much..

pennmulchbag.jpg

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I tried the Zyosia grass years ago, and although a pain to plant, it has thrived, can't kill it off, and its as thick as carpet. I can definitely see the difference between that and my regular lawn.

Cricket

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
Never tried that specific product but any seed grass I've used worked well if kept consistently moist.

darkshadow

1 ton status
Reaction score
that stuff on tv is what they have been useing for years spraying on the sides of roads, and embankments when new.

it will work but its not cheap.

if the sod didn't take it might be the soil is crappy,

AJMBLAZER

Better to be lucky than good.
Premium Member
Reaction score
That is part of the problem. We have a lot of sand so the grass will never grow thick as most people want unless you water continuously. The wife and I don't make enough to pay the electric bill the neighbors around me must have...and then their yards only look a bit greener than mine.

I think one of the three spots next to the garage is from a leaking car being parked there when the place was a rental...the other two were just beause I had a pickup topper and a trailer sitting there and the grass died under them.:crazy:

darkshadow

1 ton status
Reaction score
Go and buy some rain barrels, there cheap and a good way to water things with having to pay the sewer fees , not to mention the waters better.

drive around and look for someone with a "just sodded by such and such a company" sign on there front lawn, come back at 2 am, and get what you need.

cut it out in strange patterens and cercles, blam it on crop cercling green men :D

Craig Artzner

3/4 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Sorry for the useless post. But I just saw that "Patch Perfect" commercial and they use the same background music that Summit Racing uses for our hold music...
:haha: :haha:

Top Bottom