I live in a house that was built in 1920... We've been renting half of it for 5 years, and just bought it and take over the whole thing at the end of december. Some of my challenges for the new year...: *Plaster walls and ceiling - I'm replacing with sheetrock... *Quite a bit of Original BX wiring (the kind with the rubber and paper insulation) - I'm replacing with Romex, somebody please stop me! *Steam heating - Leaving alone, incredibly efficient! *Wood Floors - Refinishing when I win lotto, they look good but are scratched from uncaring tenants... *40 years of tenants paint (every tenant decided to paint over the last tenants work) - Hopefully replaced with the plaster-to-sheetrock job... *Uneven basement floor (used to be dirt, we rush-poured concrete on it last year and nee to re-do it right) *Possibly weakened joists in the basement that may need replacing; and each one is black from the houses coal-burning days... *Two fuse boxes - I want to combine to one big one *Decaying Stucco exterior - Need to walk around patching and re-weatherproofing that *Vertical Cracks all over the foundation - Wondering what to do about that... 80+ years of settling... *Tongue and groove roof boards, some of which are rotted from a leaking roof - We already replace a bunch in the front. Another drawback to plaster ceilings, you don't know when there's a leak until it's already too bad. The roof looks fine. *original bathroom plumbing in the upstairs bathroom - NOT looking forward to replacing that big-arse cast iron waste pipe... *And about 300 things I can't think of right now... I was down in the basement allll day yesterday to install a pair of 4x2 flourescent light panels. The original lights down there were single socket incandescant lights, wired with BX run across the joists to rusting sockets and daisy chained to the living room electric. I had two flourescents that I put down there last year, one on a standard wall-plug adapter that I screwed into the light bulb socket so it would work with the switch, the other wired into a new circuit I put in for my computer lab setup. The two new ones I was putting in yesterday I was just going to tap into the original light circuit and move the wires that were running across the joists to running along them, closer to code (original was exempt cause there was no code when it was done). So I ran my new Romex supply wire, wired in 1 new flourescent with a seperate switch so you can turn it on outside the switch at the stairs, set up the junction box, then started undoing the two sockets I was eliminating. I had planned to replace only 1 or 2 of the old BX and reuse the exisitng runs. Then I opened the socket boxes... The insulation of every old wire, literally crumbled off as I touched it. I ended up spending 12noon to 12:30 am replacing this crap. I had just enough Romex to replace the worst BX, but still had to re-use some of the old, very carefully. So hopefully home depot's open today, I have to go buy another 100' of Romex to replace about 50' remaining feet of BX on this circuit. I am NOT looking forward to that, as this stuff is plastered into certain points of the living room walls and wallbase... Anyway, of you read this far into this, thanks!! I'm do have a couple old house and wiring questions I'm going to post, but my wife is now getting all annoyed with me 'cause it's thanksgivign and Im' banging on the keyboard instead of being where she can yell at me while she cooks... Happy turkey day, y'all!