CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Anyone here put an sm465 in a 2nd gen blazer 4x4?

cheavyk10

5.slow
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ive never known anyone in my 46 years to call the suv an "s10". Maybe "s10-blazer" and "blazer". There were no full size blazers made after 95. They became Tahoe.
I was trying to clarify for the other posters because as you can see everyone went straight to a K5...

HankScorpio

Customize everything
Premium Member
Reaction score
A lot of us just click the " new posts" tab and don't realize what sub-forum we are reading from.

My 1st truck was a '85 S-15 Jimmy with a manual and a 7ft fisher plow. Gypsy trim package. If it hadn't rusted away I would still own it. Loved that thing.

83ChevyK5Blazer

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is a truck version and s10 version of the nv3500, truck version shifts from the middle of the trans, s10 from the rear of the trans housing.

scouthead

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've driven an S10 with the NV3500 before- shifted nicely. fun to drive. I highly doubt the 1st gear was anywhere near the low reduction you would have with the 465.

In an s10 with factory engine type, and without going to monster tires- i would still probably sell the sm465s and source an s10 manual trans... but, if you are chopping floors and doing body lifts and want to change transfer cases and big tires and blah blah blah... I DO like the 465 in my K5. simple. reliable. low gear is nuts although not always needed or useable.

scouthead

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
drove a couple ZR-2 blazers when my buddy wanted one- i think one was a stick and the other was auto... those were fun little blazers

I had a 2wd 1998 jimmy for a while with 4.3 and 4l60E??? I would probably still have it if it had the s10 manual trans.

Jspohr

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've driven an S10 with the NV3500 before- shifted nicely. fun to drive. I highly doubt the 1st gear was anywhere near the low reduction you would have with the 465.

In an s10 with factory engine type, and without going to monster tires- i would still probably sell the sm465s and source an s10 manual trans... but, if you are chopping floors and doing body lifts and want to change transfer cases and big tires and blah blah blah... I DO like the 465 in my K5. simple. reliable. low gear is nuts although not always needed or useable.
I'm definitely hanging onto the the 465's. One of them is going for sure in a diesel suburban I have that I'm also going to do an sas on.

And yes, the 465 is 6.5:1 while the 3500 is either 3.5:1 or 4:1 depending on which one you get, but those are better than the 4l60e at 3:1.

scouthead

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
My buddy had a 3x3 1 ton with the 6.2 and 465. he got it for a song with a blown motor. swapped in another running motor, put the banks turbo on it, and was never happy with either the engine, or the trans. was a cool truck, but he said it was still underpowered even after the turbo, shifted stiff and slow, and didn't get good mileage either. I rode in that truck several times but never drove it. he now has a mid 2000s dodge with the cummins

Top Bottom