Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Asking the same lift ?, just another way

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sarasotausmc, Jan 13, 2006.

1. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'll admit it, I'm clueless...Sometimes too much info is as bad as not enough. I've done the searches, and took notes, but got worse off than what I started with. So....I'm ready to the dump money into a 4" suspension lift, all springs, on a completely stock 87 Jimmy. Mostly for the height, but the springs I have now look and feel like they are about done. I have read about the issues with steering, brake lines, linkage, etc on my searches too. I know you all have preferences on brand, but I need to know what to look for on my truck before I spend the money. Now saying all that, I have few questions about what I should be looking for on my truck to help me get the right lift.

1. I don't even know if my truck is really level on stock springs. How do I check that?

2: Will an all spring kit help keep my truck level? Some kits I see have 2.5" fronts and 2" rear springs, others advertise 2" all spring lifts. Is it the same with other kits? Is the leveling issue built into the kits?

3. Will body mounts/bushings help change the dynamics of the lift, such as the ride felt in the drivers seat? Is there that much of a difference between rubber and poly bushings to justify the cost? Not looking for a body lift.

4. Do rear blocks pop out? It's a thing I've read and heard, and that's why I want to spend the money to do it right with springs. Based on this I really don't want blocks, but, the difference in cost might buy my exhaust.

5. How do I verify alignment after I install a lift? Is it just easier/better to take it to a garage to get it checked?

6. Due to my love for this truck, I am not concerned about spending more on one kit than another. I've saved to make sure I get the right lift and your answers will only help me make sure I do the right thing.

I don't rock crawl or anything that most of you would call extreme, but, I have been accused of beating the tar out of my truck. I spend most of my offroad time on a beach or in mud. It's my primary vehicle so I want to enjoy what I drive as much as I do now. Easy ride or tough ride not too much a problem with me, the wife won't come near the truck anyway. Probably due to the money I dump in it. I have a pretty good idea of whats out there as far as BDS, Ruff Country, Tough County, etc... so brand really depends on the questions I have asked, I have no preference.

I appreciate any straight answers on the questions I have asked.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2006
  2. KTEX

KTEX Registered Member

i am running a tuff country 4" lift with rear blocks.it was really cheap 5 years ago,the blocks have never popped out.i did have a bad vibration untill i purchased a new driveshaft from driveshaft solutions-250$,vibration gone.i am running bfg 35-12.50-15.after you install the lift you have to recenter the steering wheel,no problem you can do it yourself.the ride is much softer than the rancho heavy duty lift i had on my 86 blazer.the body lift will raise the truck center of gravity,and will lean when cornering.also i since i dont rock crawl,i found a rear sway bar off a 90's bronco and it fit perfecton the 10 bolt.

3. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

After reading what you do with your truck I would recomend the Tough Country EZ-Ride springs front and rear. They have the softest spring rate I know of and will give you a nice on road ride while still soaking up whoops out in the sand. The rear blocks are ok and I've ran many sets offroad and never "poped" one out. The main proplem with blocks is they create more leverage on the axle and that can lead to "wheel hop" on hard exceleration. The sand is prob. the worst(in my experince) for wheel hop with blocks. You might also think about some urithane progressive bump stops if you jump your truck or just like to run fast over rough ground. I run T.C. springs on the front of my k5 and plan on doing the same to my Sub-buggy. On the rear I use 4" reversed shackels which also works well but is alot more work than bolting in springs. Hope this helps and happy wheelin!