CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Atlas 4 vs TWF Hero 3 speed

brokenparts

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm an idiot and love to piss away money. I've pretty much decided to sell my Jed's machine doubler in favor of a 4 speed Atlas or a 3 speed Hero. Due to the HP/TQ numbers of my motor I've configured the Atlas with upgraded parts which make in the same price range as the Hero case.

Anyone have any experience with these cases or want to dicuss the "pros" and "cons" of each one?

http://www.trailworthyfab.com/Trail-Worthy-Fab-Three-Speed-Hero-Case-Hero111.html

http://www.filthymotorsports.com/Atlas_4_Speed_p/atlas-4spd.htm

obijuank5

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
Atlas does not recommend any power with the 4 speed. But a hero case, they advise it.

Atlas is just a shiny dana 300.

nvrenuf

Klaatu barada nikto
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
A nice cable shifter would probably solve those issues.

I'd be curious to know what AA and TWF have to say about using their products in a 6k lbs truck making good power w/ big tires. I bet AA will waffle.

Edit: at $5k for the TWF I'd buy a magnum w/ cable shifter and deal with shifter feel.

brokenparts

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
A nice cable shifter would probably solve those issues.

I'd be curious to know what AA and TWF have to say about using their products in a 6k lbs truck making good power w/ big tires. I bet AA will waffle.

I've got an email out to AA... I'm fairly convinced that the Hero case can take the abuse. My concern there is if they will be around 3-4 years into the future.

nvrenuf

Klaatu barada nikto
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I've got an email out to AA... I'm fairly convinced that the Hero case can take the abuse. My concern there is if they will be around 3-4 years into the future.

This ^^ , TWF is the SECOND company to market that case. The first design had issues and it killed the company, TWF bought the design and revamped it. $5k is a lot to gamble on that.

brokenparts

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
This ^^ , TWF is the SECOND company to market that case. The first design had issues and it killed the company, TWF bought the design and revamped it. $5k is a lot to gamble on that.

Exactly... I mean no disrespect to them but one down turn in the economy and it could be the end of them. AA at least has a long history and has enough different products on the market to help keep them going.

obijuank5

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
are you worried you are going to break the transfer case?

how much power do you really have? you at least have the buffer of an automatic trans. i have the granny gear and can break a chromo front shaft on demand. im not worried about the doubler.

other than laying down a fat stack and having baller parts, what do you expect to gain?

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
The 205 isn't perfect but it's pretty bullet proof. Choose your poison.

brokenparts

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
are you worried you are going to break the transfer case?

how much power do you really have? you at least have the buffer of an automatic trans. i have the granny gear and can break a chromo front shaft on demand. im not worried about the doubler.

other than laying down a fat stack and having baller parts, what do you expect to gain?

Breaking an AA case in stock form is honestly a concern. My motor has not seen a dyno but comp cams desktop dyno puts it at ~575hp @ 4000 and 630 ft/lbs @ 3500. Not huge numbers but with 42s and heavy foot it could possibly start breaking parts.

I dont have any concerns breaking a 203/205... The doubler I have is fine but clocking has already been set, I'm not crazy about the gear choices and shifting a 205 makes me want to punch kittens.

nvrenuf

Klaatu barada nikto
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
If it were mine.... I'd spend that money on RCV axles before I scrapped an existing doubler and bought a transfer case that was ( > IMO < ) more ad campaign than anything.

3500 lb buggies are breaking Atlas cases every week. For the cost of the Hero, you could come pretty close to getting a Magnum AND RCV's AND a nice shifter.

Bent77

1 ton status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Breaking an AA case in stock form is honestly a concern. My motor has not seen a dyno but comp cams desktop dyno puts it at ~575hp @ 4000 and 630 ft/lbs @ 3500. Not huge numbers but with 42s and heavy foot it could possibly start breaking parts.

I dont have any concerns breaking a 203/205... The doubler I have is fine but clocking has already been set, I'm not crazy about the gear choices and shifting a 205 makes me want to punch kittens.
Are you planning on flipping it in and out a lot? Didn't think a 205 was all that bad other than the chitty gear ratios

Top Bottom