CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Beag's 67 Chevelle. Autocross cone crusher.

beags86

Eastbound and Down
Reaction score
So I decided that this car needed a big block.
So I started looking around, putting the word out that I was looking.
After a bit of looking my wife's cousin said he had a buddy that had some sort of a big block laying in a barn. And that I could have the engine for free if I got the engine out of the barn. The barn was deteriorating and they had planned to bulldozer it this summer. So I thought, heck a free big block? Why not. The only problem it was that it was 6 hours away.
So we set a date for a weekend in January to make the trip. So of course the weekend we set out it was a snowstorm and our 6 hour trip took us 12 hours to get there.
Upon pulling into the old farm we realized that the barn was completely caved in and in shambles. Finding this engine was quick turning into a recovery mission more then a engine pick up.
So me and my wife's cousin went to work tossing boards out of the way to find this old big block.
We worked for about 4 hours and then I stepped on a nail, damn near went through my foot. So my wife took me to the ER while he kept on tossing boards out of the way.
After a few hours I was able to get back to the barn with a bandaged up foot.
When I got there he had a couple of cylinder heads and a crankshaft/ rods, pistons laying out in the drive.

Went he came emerging up from the barnwood rubble, I said, "what the heck?"
He said " found it! But I couldn't move it myself, so I decided to disassemble it, in to smaller pieces so I could move it! All that's left to exhume, is the block!"

Ok I thought, guess it's progress. So we went and manhandled the block out if the remains of this old 1800s barn. Anyway after all that, we were cold, tried and hungry we loaded the fat block and headed for home.

Once home I unloaded the junk to inspect later and hit the sack.
When i got a chance on a cold day in February I started to inspect and reassemble the scattered parts of a big block that I had.
When I ran the numbers to see what I even had I found out the bad news. It's just a 366! I had been under the impression it was a 396 the whole time! The better news was that it's in usable condition. So I am going to swap it anyway. I got it assembled, tossed on some 396 vavle covers and will start the swap soon. 366 is still more CI then the 350 I have now, right??

Good enough. So if you read all that I suppose I owe you a picture. Didn't take any pictures of then barn or anything, just have a quick shot while I was putting it back together. Even found a nice looking gas tank next to the engine so I included that in the pic to.

20210502_022438~2.jpg

Anyway that's an update for ya'll.

and remember, if you read it on the internet, it must be true.

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
So I decided that this car needed a big block.
So I started looking around, putting the word out that I was looking.
After a bit of looking my wife's cousin said he had a buddy that had some sort of a big block laying in a barn. And that I could have the engine for free if I got the engine out of the barn. The barn was deteriorating and they had planned to bulldozer it this summer. So I thought, heck a free big block? Why not. The only problem it was that it was 6 hours away.
So we set a date for a weekend in January to make the trip. So of course the weekend we set out it was a snowstorm and our 6 hour trip took us 12 hours to get there.
Upon pulling into the old farm we realized that the barn was completely caved in and in shambles. Finding this engine was quick turning into a recovery mission more then a engine pick up.
So me and my wife's cousin went to work tossing boards out of the way to find this old big block.
We worked for about 4 hours and then I stepped on a nail, damn near went through my foot. So my wife took me to the ER while he kept on tossing boards out of the way.
After a few hours I was able to get back to the barn with a bandaged up foot.
When I got there he had a couple of cylinder heads and a crankshaft/ rods, pistons laying out in the drive.

Went he came emerging up from the barnwood rubble, I said, "what the heck?"
He said " found it! But I couldn't move it myself, so I decided to disassemble it, in to smaller pieces so I could move it! All that's left to exhume, is the block!"

Ok I thought, guess it's progress. So we went and manhandled the block out if the remains of this old 1800s barn. Anyway after all that, we were cold, tried and hungry we loaded the fat block and headed for home.

Once home I unloaded the junk to inspect later and hit the sack.
When i got a chance on a cold day in February I started to inspect and reassemble the scattered parts of a big block that I had.
When I ran the numbers to see what I even had I found out the bad news. It's just a 366! I had been under the impression it was a 396 the whole time! The better news was that it's in usable condition. So I am going to swap it anyway. I got it assembled, tossed on some 396 vavle covers and will start the swap soon. 366 is still more CI then the 350 I have now, right??

Good enough. So if you read all that I suppose I owe you a picture. Didn't take any pictures of then barn or anything, just have a quick shot while I was putting it back together. Even found a nice looking gas tank next to the engine so I included that in the pic to.

View attachment 376836

Anyway that's an update for ya'll.

and remember, if you read it on the internet, it must be true.
I'm no super techy nerd when it comes to big blocks, but weren't the 366's tall deck blocks? I didn't think a conventional big block intake would fit between the heads on a 366 or tall deck 427.

But it sure looks good for a crusty block pulled from a falling down barn.

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I sold my 6.5 dizzle within 4hrs of listing it, otherwise you could have put that in there for some REAL power. Turbo Detroit muscle :saweet:

:haha:

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
A 366 BBC is like a 305 SBC. Both bastards in their families.
At least a 366 has a forged 3.76 crankshaft in it!

beags86

Eastbound and Down
Reaction score
Your like the guy that was getting a drink of water not paying attention to the hog pile that was happening at center field. Then when he realized what was happening, he runs across at full speed to jump and pile on, giving one last exclamation point of pain...

Smokinthehippies

3/4 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Your like the guy that was getting a drink of water not paying attention to the hog pile that was happening at center field. Then when he realized what was happening, he runs across at full speed to jump and pile on, giving one last exclamation point of pain...
And that is the guy that gets remembered. Because uase he is on top when the cameras are rolling.

Top Bottom