Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best way to secure a car on a car trailer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by COCHEV, Nov 7, 2002.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

going to be Towing my nephew's vw bug behind the 93 burb this weekend and am planning on getting a car trailer from U-haul. whats the best way to secure the little bug on there? chains, straps? will it really move around much on the trailer? also any guesses on what a 68 bug weighs?

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Build(s):
    The uhaul trailers come with the ratchet straps needed to hold down the front tires and safety chains for front and rear. You could easily get away cheaper with a uhaul tow dolly.

3. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

not sure how well that would work with a bug. i don't want the transaxles turning the whole trip. plus his steering doesn't lock so we couldn't pull it backwards. i thinks its 100 bucks one way from vancover to bend.

4. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

bugs shouldnt way much more than 2,000 lbs.

5. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

I've never used a uhaul trailer but they look pretty good and I would imagine they will provide straps, but they may charge extra. NEVER scrimp on tying a vehicle down. About 15 years I knew a guy in our club that had a car come off a trailer on the interstate, it crossed the median and was hit by a big rig and another car. The big truck burned to the ground!! The cost of the damage was way above his insurances max and last I remember hearing he was being sued for the difference.

6. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

They dont weigh much. My brother, a friend and I were able to get the body off of one by hand. And the bottom doesnt hardly weigh anything; mostly just the engine and tranny.