CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Bicycles

ekajkrats

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been riding quite a bit. Been trying to get in rides after work but the motivation is low. Poison oak is in full bloom too

View attachment 373197
Where have you been going most of the time? I like the reg sticker...haha! Poison oak does bring the suck (Amazon has the best price on Tecnu and then aveeno with oats when it's too late), but can't beat the weather we've been having! And I'm too much of a chicken to offer a riding partner.

bmxbryant9

Rebuild reboot
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Where have you been going most of the time? I like the reg sticker...haha! Poison oak does bring the suck (Amazon has the best price on Tecnu and then aveeno with oats when it's too late), but can't beat the weather we've been having! And I'm too much of a chicken to offer a riding partner.
I've been trying to mix it up a bit. Riding China camp and Mt. Burdell during the work week then Santa rosa or those areas on the weekends. For sure on the Tecnu, I have a 32oz bottle in the shower
On a side note we should get the kids together soon too! The jeep should be done and around in the next 2 months

byrdman

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sweet Kona, shonD. Does it have slotted dropouts or do you have you adjust the chain some other way?

JoshHefnerX

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Interesting, it's got a traditional skewer dropout mounted in something similar to a motorcycle chain adjuster. Assuming the other side mount contains the brake caliper for keeping the caliper in position over the rotor.

2Dogs

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some updates from my clan -
China Peak enduro was 6/26. I had a practice accident dislocating the thumb so bad it split open... Fok. However my girls kicked ass with a 1st in Beginner W for the young one and a 7th in Pro for the big one (payouts were out to 8, her first time in the $$).

My team, SVCS Enduro team, is putting 30+ racers at each event this year. Such a fun group, young to old!

s89461725-China+Peak+Race+6-26-21-0941.jpg

s89461733-China+Peak+Race+6-26-21-4045.jpg

sfingah.jpg

sDSC_0726.jpg

2Dogs

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Only 4. And since the muscle was not sliced it did not hurt too bad. The 2 knuckles involved, another story. I can detect change in the weather 5 years out.... :rotfl:

TuckerK5

Incovignito!
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
^^Exactly. That’s a great accomplishment having your girls that involved and excited about something so positive in this day and time.
Their performance level is just a huge bonus.

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
Reaction score
No impressive scars or competitions here, but we're still pedaling. 1042 miles last year and >700 so far this year. My little girl has logged >200 miles. Mostly low-grade roads, but sometimes we head out to paths less traveled.

20210713_181447.jpg

She opted to walk through this section rather than riding it. It's a bit overgrown... :rolleyes: But still made it through! :waytogo:

20210713_183312.jpg

Last edited:

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
Reaction score
960 miles and counting. Finally had my first flat for the year, on the back of my motor bike. I've tried several flat-preventing strategies this year, and this particular tire had a Tannus Armour insert. This provides a thick layer of puncture protection and also acts as a run-flat insert. I wanted the run-flat capability because the hub motor is a pain to remove on the side of the road.

armour_image_main_ccb0960d-2180-4261-9c3a-b48f17d80cee_540x.jpg
tubeless_main_image_540x.jpg

https://tannusamerica.com/pages/tannus-armour

True to the advertising, the insert allowed me to finish the last mile of my ride without needing to stop to change the flat. The tire wobbled a bit, but not enough for me to worry about losing control. Just for grins I ran it up to 27MPH for a bit. I don't recommend that, as it got squirrelly, but 22MPH was fine.

I tore down the tire and found the tube had a crease that finally rubbed through after a few hundred miles. This is my fault, as this liner requires an undersized tube. Mine was small, but not quite as small as Tannus specified, and it had crumpled up at one spot. So this is not a puncture problem, it's a user problem. :blush: Obviously the tubeless insert wouldn't have this problem.

-BUT-

The liner did its job, and did allow me to get to work without stopping to fix the flat. I also did not find any damage to the tire, rim, or liner. So they went right back together again. :waytogo:

I'm using this on the road, but this product is primarily marketed to MTB riders. I haven't tried it offroad, but I think it would help with pinch flats. Has anybody else tried these?

shond100

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Those look pretty sweet! I personally run tubeless tires with sealant in case of puncture. I haven't heard of anyone using them for mountain biking..I wonder what they weigh? some of us are weight weenies

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Those look pretty sweet! I personally run tubeless tires with sealant in case of puncture. I haven't heard of anyone using them for mountain biking..I wonder what they weigh? some of us are weight weenies

I haven't weighed mine. Could probably find weights posted somewhere online? It's not as heavy as having an entire second tire, but it's not light. I'm a commuter heading to work, so I'm willing to make compromises others aren't. Also, this is on an Ebike, so overcoming a little more weight and/or rolling resistance doesn't directly bother me at all. My pedal bike is running Marathon tires with an insert built into the tread. Still a bit heavy, but lighter than running the Armour insert.

schwalbe-marathon-greenguard-tyre.jpg

Thus far I've stayed away from tubeless because it seems like more headache to repair on the side of the road. Same reason I'm moving away from slime tubes. If I can't get a patch to reliably stick, they're not something I'm willing to deal with at the start of a workday.

JoshHefnerX

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you mange to get a hole that doesn't seal on tubeless you can wipe out the tire and still put a tube in it.

campfire

Adventure is out there!
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you mange to get a hole that doesn't seal on tubeless you can wipe out the tire and still put a tube in it.

I have thought about this. But I haven't had a pinch flat in years. The issue has been punctures, and I didn't see how tubeless sealant is tangibly different from putting slime into a tube. Am I missing something? The weight difference doesn't seem like a lot to me, and the slime outweighs the tube. So it seems like a horse apiece, and tubes are easier to mount. Eh?

JoshHefnerX

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
GCN and it's associated channels are good for tech

There's a ton of sealant tests on youtube. Some are quite amazing. I've had several would be flats fix on the fly. Can hear them letting loose and eventually stop.

Tubeless you can run a few lbs softer on pressure and not raise rolling resistance.

Top Bottom