CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Big Bend Ranch trip.

TankedUp

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey. Girlfriend and I starting to plan outta trip to Big Bend Ranch State park. Dates pretty stuck to week of Oct 17-22. Will leave out the 15 and have to be back at work 25. Girl has sights to see along way. HaHa so takes a couple days to get there, but plan to be in park 6 days no phone, no internet and no drama. Putting together plan and reserving sites now. Just thought I would throw it out there in case someone was interested in meeting up and following along. I know they say never go alone, but if I don’t go alone alone I would have seen half the cool stuff I have. Have to go do what I want and not wait on others to go along. You will never live waiting on others to go along. LOL. But this one I will have girlfriend to keep me from being lonely.

TankedUp

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
We plan on leaving Friday Oct 15, get off work at 3. Head to somewhere around Uvalde stop for night. Saturday get up, 5.5 hours or so get to Terlingua. Usually stay at Mels place campground, out of the way No water but pit toilets and a nice view. Go have a beer and maybe supper at the starlight or La Kiva. Sunday head to Big Bend ranch have guale 1 campsite for Sunday night. Monday drive to main park station do the tourist t shirt shop thing and they have showers (don’t know if they will be open because stupid covid BS) have churro vista camp for night. Tuesday head into the solitario’s for Tres Papalotes camp. Go check out the Solitario Bar and area mines. Wednesday do “Road to nowhere” trail in morning and then over to los Alamos campsite. Thursday head to Guale 2, best campsite in park. Friday head out of park we will probably stay at camp in Terlingua again and start heading back on Saturday. It’s just a slow sort of rambling trip. Just to get away and relax.

wasted wages

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Got to go check out "the lights" one night....

and have a dinner night at "The Gage" in Marathon....

worth the trip to big bend... :waytogo:

TankedUp

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hadn’t thought of the lights. But probably won’t fit in this go round. But will make it work for the spring trip next year.

We were actually talking about staying at the gage one night on the way back and eating there. Thanks for the info.

TankedUp

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Count down now less than week. Fluids checked, oil changed. It’s getting short now. First time away in over 3 years now. Work still sucks. Have to move boat to houston leave at 4am. Supposed to get relived on Wednesday. So that gives me one day to finish getting things done. My short Friday, not that I really get any weekends off, so 3pm hop in blazer and ride on. So ready to get away. I’m way burned out.
BB79F95C-7372-4986-93BD-5309F38C8009.jpeg
roof rack back on, looks like stupid expedition porthole BS, but it’s is needed. HaHa.

wasted wages

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good luck !
Enjoy your trip! Leaving Houston @ 3 pm on a Friday is kind of a bad time..
but once you get past Katy, things should start to ease up a little...

post up lots of pictures!! Oh, and keep an eye on the weather, storms out there can get pretty violent this time of year..

TankedUp

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Luckily I’m south of Houston. In Rockport close to Corpus Christi. It’s about a 9 hour drive. Was out there 4 years ago. It’s great scenery, quite and no phone service. I loved it. Last time I went in April weather was perfect. This time hopefully be a the same.

TankedUp

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I guess work loves me too much to let me go. Vacation canceled two days before I leave. This is a kick in the head. ( half my choice) CEF1F063-C340-4626-AC4A-5FB99AE6B7EB.jpeg Just another day. So here I drink and bud lite and crown shots. It’s another day in my life. Wouldn’t happen if I didn’t have deep respect for the owner. He’s been good to all his employees and still is. Even after all the hard times company has had. I just can’t leave with all going on right now. But I can do my usual just drink it all away. Has to be healthy reaction to everyday life. LOL. I keep showing up every morning.

dates to be rescheduled. Hopefully not another 3 years.

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Well I guess work loves me too much to let me go. Vacation canceled two days before I leave. This is a kick in the head. ( half my choice) View attachment 392836 Just another day. So here I drink and bud lite and crown shots. It’s another day in my life. Wouldn’t happen if I didn’t have deep respect for the owner. He’s been good to all his employees and still is. Even after all the hard times company has had. I just can’t leave with all going on right now. But I can do my usual just drink it all away. Has to be healthy reaction to everyday life. LOL. I keep showing up every morning.

dates to be rescheduled. Hopefully not another 3 years.
Dude I know that feeling all too well. All the planning and anticipation to go gets dashed out the window. If the owner has been good, he'll make it up and get you the time off. Being a team player bites sometimes but it should work out for you in the long run. Do what you can to reset the date and get the planning in gear.

Also, I planned a run to Big Bend national park and big bend ranch state park and mapped it all out but we ended up switching to go to Utah for fear of the border situation down there. Then I didn't end up going anyway. The point is I've got a bunch of .GPX files of all the trails in both parks and if you want a copy say the word and I'll share them with you. Pre-running on the map and finding all the cool points of interest to check out is a pretty good way to pass the time too. But I'm a nerd for maps anyway.

TankedUp

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dude I know that feeling all too well. All the planning and anticipation to go gets dashed out the window. If the owner has been good, he'll make it up and get you the time off. Being a team player bites sometimes but it should work out for you in the long run. Do what you can to reset the date and get the planning in gear.

Also, I planned a run to Big Bend national park and big bend ranch state park and mapped it all out but we ended up switching to go to Utah for fear of the border situation down there. Then I didn't end up going anyway. The point is I've got a bunch of .GPX files of all the trails in both parks and if you want a copy say the word and I'll share them with you. Pre-running on the map and finding all the cool points of interest to check out is a pretty good way to pass the time too. But I'm a nerd for maps anyway.
Yea it sucks. reeeaaly sucks But have to take care of pay check and the people that take off the work that makes my paycheck. I see lots of people that don’t take care employees before there own wealth. But he knowns the reason for his successes is the people actually doing the work, small company and coming from nothing he is appreciative of every employee form top to new hire.

My sacrifice at this time. Trying to keep business going, I’m willing to take. I know yalll employed and never get appreciated have a different view on your jobs and I’ve had those kinda jobs too. And walked away.

I’ve been there and thanks for offer. Send gpx. And I can send mine. Downloaded bunch of internet before first trip. We may have same but who know

Dude long reply above. Sorry.
I’m replaning trip. If you have time I’m trying march-April. After this fiasco, I will make it hard dates.

Top Bottom