Blazer restoration- where to start?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kayla1988K5, Mar 24, 2020 at 5:04 PM.

1. kayla1988K5

kayla1988K5 Registered Member

With the self isolation we are finding it hard to get motivated. Working on our build '88 K5 conversion to '78 body style with 6.2 diesel. It needs a lot of TLC!

Thinking of getting started by removing the front rad support. Will have to drain all the fluid and disconnect lines. I can then do a mockup of the '76 rad support and see if I have to do any modification to work with the 6.2 diesel parts, etc.

Where did you all start on your projects? We have completed most of the teardown. Rear quarters need attention. Rockers need replacement. Would like to make the frame look nice, so assuming this means body has to come off..

I'm thinking once I have completed the mockup of the rad support with 6.2 accessories and determine all is well/done modification, then I can start to remove the body and get geared up to sandblast or grind and paint the frame.

What does the CK5 brotherhood have to say on this? Thanks all

2. ktmoutfront

ktmoutfront GnomeWorks LLC Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Get all of the upgrades and welding(rockers and floors) done before stripping and painting the frame. If not, it is a pain to protect the frame.

Start somewhere and stay with it.

wasted wages, Kain, TJ1978 and 2 others like this.
  3. beags86

beags86 Eastbound and Down Premium Member

Build(s):
    All depends on tools, shop space, and what you plan to do/farm out.

Perfect world I would strip the body from the chassis and get the body on a dolly or some form of rotisserie.

wasted wages and kayla1988K5 like this.
  4. centexk5

centexk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    Personally I do the drivetrain and running gear first so I can continue to drive it and enjoy it for a while. Once the body comes off you are in it for the long haul.

TJ1978 and kayla1988K5 like this.
  5. kayla1988K5

my hubby would agree with this one! I just want it to be done right and not half-assed! lol

6. kayla1988K5

This is where I'm at:

I guess first order of business is to clean up!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020 at 6:32 PM
    rampage likes this.
  7. kayla1988K5

8. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status Premium Member

And the second order of business would be to become a premium member so you can host your pics on this site, among other things. :waytogo:
    But no pressure. :D

Big10, wasted wages and frankin5 like this.
  9. Jake_C_

Jake_C_ 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    I have an 88 and I put a 79 front end on it. I’m not saying this is the right way but I put all the 70s front end stuff on first and drove it for a bit making sure everything fit and looked right. and then took it completely apart, gutted the interior, stripped all body parts one piece at a time. I’m not doing a motor swap but I am swapping the transmission. Currently I have the body off and I’m wire wheeling the frame and painting it as well as freshening up the suspension and putting in the new transmission. If you get to the point where you have the body off that’s the best time to do your engine swap. That way you can clean and paint the frame where the motor sits. When the body goes back on I’ll be doing metal work and it sounds like ours are similar is the rusted areas. When that’s done it’s body work and paint. Like I said I’m not saying that’s the best order/way to do it, but It’s a way and I think it’s a pretty good way. Hope that helps.

10. kayla1988K5

Thanks Rampage! It'll come I'm sure

rampage likes this.
  11. kayla1988K5

that sounds like a good idea to me :thumb: I think i'll do that.

Question for you! How did your front clip conversion go? I know the wipers are different so that'll take some figuring.. any other things to be aware of?

12. kayla1988K5

So the big question is; Will the radiator from an '88 6.2 diesel bolt onto a 1976 radiator support? Only time will tell once I get it all dismantled. This is happening either way just means I may have to modify/ create new mounts...

What do ya'll recommend for cleaning products? This truck has been leaking a bit of oil and its a mess in there

13. DK5

DK5 1/2 ton status

The city that rhymes with fun, Saskatchewan
    Does it count that she's my wife? And I am a member? :D

Things are getting started! About ready to remove the rad. Looking forward to getting some of these projects done!

14. 6872xtc

6872xtc make mine modified Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    But you overlooked the "premium " , and even yours is apparently expired. But I remember seeing you post up years ago.
    (The pic in your avatar helps me!)
    Awesome to see a husband and wife working on stuff together!!
    :waytogo:

wasted wages, DK5 and rampage like this.
  15. DK5

DK5 1/2 ton status

The city that rhymes with fun, Saskatchewan
    I'm overdue to get caught up on here and renew my membership... I managed to get her hooked! Next thing is to get her to be onboard for Blazer Bash once the rigs are ready!

wasted wages, rampage and 6872xtc like this.
  16. Jake_C_

Jake_C_ 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    It’s the stud part of the wiper mechanism where the wiper arm attaches that’s different as well as the wiper arms themselves. The 73-80 ones are shorter than the 81-91. You’ll need those, fenders, inner fenders, core support, hood, all grille and headlight components, battery tray and the wiring harness for the headlights. There are other small things like the windshield washer tank wont fit your new fenders right but it’s easy to rig it so it works. My conversion went smoothly since my front end was already apart from the previous owner hitting a deer. Also I was able to pull all my parts off of a junk truck so I knew I had everything I needed. I recommend finding a donor vehicle if at all possible. A junk yard would be a good resource. As far as making a 6.2 radiator fit the core support I wouldn’t worry about that too much. I think it will fit the space fine. If not you can make it work with some tweaking I’m sure, or just get a 73-80 radiator. If you have any more questions about it let me know I’m happy to help.

kayla1988K5 likes this.
  17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I think a 6.2 radiator will fit an older square body,you'll need the top radiator hold down support from the diesel donor truck probably,and have to move the rubber cushions on the bottom..
    A 4 core radiator for a 454 pickup will fit too,but again you will probably need the upper hold down part to go with it,or fab something up..

kayla1988K5 likes this.
  18. kayla1988K5

Thank you for the support!! I guess this means that we need 73-80 inner fenders!! We only have '81-'91 inner fenders.... As far as the rest of those parts goes, I think we are good pending the rad fits the 73 style rad support!

Jake_C_ likes this.
  19. yblow

yblow 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I installed a 6.5l turbo in square body and yes the radiator fits. I used the small top brackets from an 86 and the bottom just used a couple extra poly bushings under it not the cushion ones.