Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body tilting to one side; 84 K5 questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ben Malinski, May 14, 2003.

1. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

I ran this by you folks some time back but didn't get anywhere with the replys, so.... here's a second shot. Before installing a 4" Rancho lift w/blocks and new energy suspension body bushings, the drivers side was lower than the passenger side. About an inch or so. Very noticeable when looking at it from the front or while parked on level ground. I thought installing new bushings would help. Wrong answer. Still tilting on the drivers side, front to rear. So a few days ago, I had the time to install 1 inch bushings on the drivers side thinking it would level it out. It got worse! Now the front bumper (right side where it curves around is touching the side t/signal marker) is also tilted along with the body. What gives!?!? What do you think I should be checking? Or double checking? I'm going to remove the 5 additional bushings I installed on the drivers side this weekend to bring it back down somewhat. But then it will still be sitting cockeyed. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Springs on the *opposite* corner of the truck will affect ride height. So if say the passenger front spring is high, the driver rear will be low. Something to look into.

My truck was that way. Couldn't figure out why it looked like it was leaning from the rear, swapped rear springs side to side, measured, etc., finally figured out the front springs weren't quite the same height, and "high" front spring was "pushing" the opposite corner down. For some reason it was much more noticeable from the rear, perhaps because the rear is taller than the front along the same vertical plane.

3. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

I got an 84' K-5 also that had a leaning issue. If your bumper is leaning its your springs, if your bumper is straight and its leaning its your body. The way I /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif solved this issue was totally dismantling the body /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif, i just got done today. Anyway, your bodys mounts are probably rusted out. I sweeped up about 30 lbs of rust when I finished today, no body mounts were holding the body to the frame /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. I had a sag issue on my burby, I did about 10 hrs of welding and stitching the rear. Good ole Michigan rust!

4. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

also try a set of helper springs (addaleafs). if your fronts are higher or pushing your rear down a tougher set of helper springs could be an easy fix.

5. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Man! You just solved a year and a half problem for me on my red 84. It leans down on the pass. side from behind. I've had the springs off on the rear and they both still hold the same shape. Frame is straight and the body mounts are all new. Looked at the front springs after reading your response, and the driver's side front spring is actually different than the pass. It has the same number of leaves, but each leaf is almost 1/16th inch thicker. The spring pack on the drivers side even looks newer. I don't know what it came off of, but it sits higher than the other one. That's what's pushing the pass. rear down. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

As I posted originally, the truck was tilting toward the driver's side before the lift kit was installed. The new kit did not solve the problem so I installed new body bushings. That didn't help either. I suppose now I'll have to find a level spot to park and start taking measurments all around!