Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body work...Rust Repair or Replacement?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by swoo55, Oct 26, 2003.

  1. swoo55

    swoo55 Registered Member

    Oct 26, 2003
    Likes Received:
    Los Angeles via Winter Park CO.
    Hello I'm New. Name is Swoo!

    I'm looking to get into a 74 Blazer but before I did I wanted to know about Rust and the story to Front & Rear Quater Panels for that year Truck.

    The Truck used to have bigger tires and wheels and they cut the wheel flares to accommodate them. There is also rust over the wheel wells in the back that needs to be cut out. I know I can look to any Chevy truck in that Body style for the front panels But, Is it cheaper to cut and weld fix all of this or to replace the Quaterpanels with use stock?
    Does anyone know where to find the rear Quarter Panels for a '74 K5 Blazer?
    Thanks in advance
  2. It depends on how much of the wheel well was cut out and how bad the rust is to determine if you need to replace or repair the parts. If your're able to weld sheetmetal then you might want to repair them. If you replace them then you can either get the parts from a junkyard, the dealer, or aftermarket. A junkyard would be the cheapest route, but depending where you live it may be getting hard to find good body parts. A dealer will rape you with their prices, but the parts are the best fitting. They'll charge about $500 for a fender, $550 for a door, and $1000 for rear quarterpanels. Aftermarket parts are probably the cheapest, both price wise and quality wise. Be prepared for thinner sheetmetal and pieces that don't fit properly. As far as interchangability of parts, the fenders and hood are the same from 73-80. If you wanted, you could change the front clip (including radiator support) for the 81-91 style. The doors are basically the same from 73-91, you just need to trim the window frame off the 76-91 doors to make it fit on your full convertible. The quarter panels from 73-91 will fit, again on the 76-91 style you will need to fill in the hole on the top of the bedrail next to the door. Hope that helped, and welcome to CK5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
  3. 75-K5

    75-K5 3/4 ton status

    Apr 28, 2002
    Likes Received:
    Anderson, Indiana

Share This Page