CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Bought an Air Mattress for the back of the k5...

scouthead

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
i tried to sleep in the back of the K5 once... with the tailgate down, and the back seat flipped up.

I wanted more space, and felt like my feet were going to get eaten by bears (i was nowhere near bears).

I want to do some weekend exploring now that the blazer is up and running again... and since im single again, bought a twin size coleman "internal pump" air matress. Im hoping i can remove the back seat, and build a plywood platform for the rear passenger footwell. i think i end up with about 72 inches of space with the tailgate up and closed.

will be testing sometime this week.

also wondering if my cigarette lighter can output enough power to run an electric tea kettle through an inverter?? hmmm bedside coffee...

Wes Harden

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust the factory cigar lighter wiring to run an inverter big enough to run a kettle. Hard wire to batt, 8 gauge or better depending on size of inverter.

TankedUp

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK. I’ll tell my air mattress story. Before my Big Bend vacation was cancelled had blazer loaded with camp stuff. I use a 4” camp pad to sleep on top of boxes in back. Well girlfriend decided that her air mattress was a great thing and insisted that we take it to sleep on in back of blazer. Well after many hours of me saying it won’t work and her insisting it would be perfect, you know because women know best, I just told her to get it. I threw it in I turned on pump to air it up. Well I’ll let the picture speak for itself. HaHa. That day I actually heard those seldom heard words “Well I guess you were right”.

582BE4F8-763A-4A87-9DEE-7125799F3635.jpeg

SPLATT

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
My first elk hunting trip I took the backseat out of my 77 K5 and stuck a regular twin mattress back there, it worked great.

scouthead

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
well, this was in anticipation of making a bonsai run to death valley after thanksgiving, but my incorrect friend (with a jeep, and BECAUSE of the jeep)
need to pack up his bus and head home the day after i would get there... so probably not going to get this tested quite yet.

I do want to make sure the air mattress holds air though- I may have some time this weekend to mock things up and take some pictures.

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I've slept in the back of my K5 pre-camper days. No back seat and the gate up. I'm 6 ft tall and had to sleep diagonally. Stuffed my duffel bag in one of the rear footwells to level it out for a backpacking-style sleep pad.

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
i tried to sleep in the back of the K5 once... with the tailgate down, and the back seat flipped up.

I wanted more space, and felt like my feet were going to get eaten by bears (i was nowhere near bears).

I want to do some weekend exploring now that the blazer is up and running again... and since im single again, bought a twin size coleman "internal pump" air matress. Im hoping i can remove the back seat, and build a plywood platform for the rear passenger footwell. i think i end up with about 72 inches of space with the tailgate up and closed.

will be testing sometime this week.

also wondering if my cigarette lighter can output enough power to run an electric tea kettle through an inverter?? hmmm bedside coffee...
I have slept plenty of times in my k5, most of it in a sleeping bag on the floor.
I did a couple of times with a 8" air mattress, worked pretty good except one time when it deflated around midnight.
I am 5'11" and I slept diagonal.
There was a time when in my 76 I took the back seat out and I slept straight, lifted up the passenger seat so I had room for my legs to stretch.
By the way I used a full size mattress

Big Ray

Doing O.K. For An Old Fat Man!
Premium Member
Reaction score
my folks let me use their 86 K5 quite a bit. Towed my exs Camero to fl with it. Let my new hoe drive a bit while I slept in the back.
6'2", had to sleep diagonally with the back seat up. Never got real comfy...

I miss that old truck. Dad offered it or the 87 r10 to me, I figured the pick up was more practical at that stage of my life. And it was.

But I miss that old K5.

Miss my folks.

Top Bottom