CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Cadden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Been searching thru for a bit, not sure if i have found the exact answer I am looking for.
My 1970 Jimmy came with all new brake lines and fuel lines. The only problem, all the old brake lines were already removed prior to me obtaining the vehicle.

Is it the same routing for pickups? Does anyone have a link, or pics they can share of a 68 to 72 jimmy/blazer I can use for reference? Or can someone confirm if it would be the same on a pickup of similar years?

Cadden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is what's throwing me off. My prop valve looks different than anything I'm seeing online for my year

20200224_175445.jpg

Cadden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yay for old pictures from original owner

Screenshot_20200224-185136_Gallery.jpg

diesel4me

1 ton status
Premium Member
- In Memoriam -
Reaction score
The PV on 71-72 trucks was mounted at the master cylinder like that factory--they moved it in '73 to the front cross member..
That one may be from a different vehicle--GM used similar PV on many of the 70's cars and they were the same as the 1/2 and 3/4 ton truck ones ,though they may be slightly different in external appearance..

Cadden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well things are moving along finally. Taking the whole front clip off made the world of difference

20200225_154129.jpg

rampage

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
When did GM start making coils on the brake line off the master cylinder to absorb any vibrations and movement so it relieves stress on the lines?

Cadden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
When did GM start making coils on the brake line off the master cylinder to absorb any vibrations and movement so it relieves stress on the lines?
I have no idea when they started that I've seen videos of 68s with them

diesel4me

1 ton status
Premium Member
- In Memoriam -
Reaction score
Every GM truck I've had ,had the brake lines from the master coiled up like a spring to absorb body movement..oldest one I had was a '71 and the newest is an '85 K-10 Suburban..

Of course the brake lines on my old trucks were likely replaced at least once long before I got them,but several had the OEM tubing with the coiled spring wrapping from the master cylinder to the PV valve on the cross member...I'm not sure if GM put the coils on the '67-72 trucks factory,but mine had them,but they may have been added when the lines were replaced..

It is a good idea to put a few coils on any tubing subject to strain if the cab or nose moves some--I learned the hard way to put some "spring coils" on the oil pressure gauge copper tubing I ran into the cab on one truck I had,the tubing barely reached the gauge so I didn't coil it up,and one night it pulled out of the fitting on the gauge and my right leg got a nice hot oil bath!..carpet was permanently stained too..

frankin5

Super Mall Crawler
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice looking job, but I would redo it to add the coils. The are there to keep the lines from fatiguing and cracking. It is your life. That bracket on frame next to steering box is where the lines were originally.

Cadden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Alright. Final question here.
This piece has really thrown me off. A banjo bolt went thru it (7/16 thread size) and connected to the old brake line that then went down to the driver front cylinder on the drum.
Because its lifted 6 inches I can't use the stock lines as they don't reach anymore.
The new extended lines are 1/8 or something thread so way smaller.
When I try to find extended brake lines I can't find any for a 70.
What is this piece? And why does it seem so weird to me

Screenshot_20200328-064511_Gallery.jpg

Cadden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is what I mcguyvered in the mean time. But I don't like it.

20200323_200013.jpg

Top Bottom