CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Burb Painting

dhcomp

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
As luck would have it, i'm taking a couple months off from work.

One of my long overdue projects is painting the burb.

VERY minor rust, but want to get this thing back to looking good at 10'.

Thought i had seen a guide in here to a basic home brew paint plan, but can't find it.

What is everyone's thought? While i'm sorta on a budget, i'm willing to buy what i need to spray properly. Don't think i have the patience to spend enough labor on a tip and roll paint job (or whatever its called).

Parts of the factory paint are still in good shape, and won't be changing colors. Goal is a paint job that looks good at 10-20', and will last me another 30 yrs.

What do the group say?

Only current plans are to strip with a benchmark coating removal disk, but wondering if there is a good way to keep more factory primer.

Then ill prime and paint. Open to debate on single stage vs. clear. I suck at painting, but no better time to learn.

I have a small nail gun compressor, but can upgrade if needed. Plan to buy a spray setup, unless there is a good way to do it airless. I have a decent graco airless setup.

Thanks for your patience on the paint noob!

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
tonight..........................................

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
lol, I'm not all that... ;)

ummm ok, where are we at here budget-wise? are you willing to do $500 in materials? couple gals of primer and some Nason single stage is pretty economical... or... you could shoot thinned rusto at $50 a gallon...

where you talking about stripping it? either way, you really should throw a couple coats of primer on it, raw, or sanded paint... than a solid color, single stage douche... base/clear adds a good bit to your material costs... unless your deadset on shooting a metallic....

shooting it in the driveway? cheap Hf gun and a reasonable comp gets it done...

HankScorpio

Customize everything
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had good luck with paint from my local NAPA. Basecoat/clearcoat for my crewcab in a factory GM color. They mixed it right out of the book for a good color match. Also had good luck with a single stage urethane from them. A single stage in a factory color is probably the easiest but make sure to use a good primer. They sell all this stuff as a system to make it all compatible. I liked the simplicity of being able to get all the paint at a local shop. I don't think all NAPA stores mix paint, ours does it in house here.

dhcomp

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
lol, I'm not all that... ;)

ummm ok, where are we at here budget-wise? are you willing to do $500 in materials? couple gals of primer and some Nason single stage is pretty economical... or... you could shoot thinned rusto at $50 a gallon...

where you talking about stripping it? either way, you really should throw a couple coats of primer on it, raw, or sanded paint... than a solid color, single stage douche... base/clear adds a good bit to your material costs... unless your deadset on shooting a metallic....

shooting it in the driveway? cheap Hf gun and a reasonable comp gets it done...

Ha, I'm sure your worst day would beat my best! The expense paid trip offer stands!

Budget wise, i don't really need to skimp. If i have to buy materials, upgrade a compressor, etc, i'll be happy under a couple grand.

The sketchy part here is that it gets cold soon. I could rig up a booth in the garage, but will need to heat it.

Favorite cheap guns? Should i go eastwood for a few more $$, or not worth it?

Rather than strip everything that's there, as the factory primer looks good in most locations, what do you recommend sanding the paint with? A DA?

Pics for current status.

dhcomp

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pics. Roof is almost bare. And I rattle canned it once. 76CE3C73-3D2D-4C70-A44E-5BD83B64C607.jpeg 80F01979-9A20-46A1-8E3E-B9247BA0B79C.jpeg
96EACD01-A9F5-4855-AFAC-94EC511B6A98.jpeg

HankScorpio

Customize everything
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sand it with a DA. You don't have to strip it bare, just get the loose stuff off and give the new paint something to adhere to. Do any body work needed and then prime it for a nice uniform surface. I built a paint booth inside the garage with plastic and some box fans to exhaust the overspray. I was running a wood stove most of the time. I heated up the garage real warm and would let the fire die down some and then paint. Real auto paint dries in minutes to an hour not like rust oleum that takes days. You can change which reducer you use to better match the temperature you are painting at.

Jimmy85

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would say pass. The rabbit hole of painting can get deep faster than expected. Definitely gonna need an upgrade on the air compressor. 80 gallon if you are not piece painting it. A big no on the airless. Gun & DA sander, materials, primer & which ever paint you decide on. Would you be painting from the body molding up? I ask cause are taping around mirrors/glass/molding?
Not trying to sound like a Debbie downer, but paint jobs are not worth doing twice. The work you put into it will be the quality you get back.

dhcomp

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Headed back down this rabbit hole. Hunting compressor deals.

Browsing eastwood for HVLP guns. Any guidance on size?

Eyeing these sets

Is the small gun that beneficial to have? May be able to buy the small set and add a small gun for cheaper than the big set though...

Adding to my shopping list
Compressor
Dryer
Spray Gun
Paint
DA Sander (electric Porter cable?)
Plastic

Then i'll have to do all my exterior trim and window moldings....

Last edited:

HankScorpio

Customize everything
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use an electric Porter Cable DA. Great tool. Use it for woodworking too.
1637477022297.png

I only bought 1 gun but 3 tips for different paints.

I use a traditional line dryer at the compressor and then some small, disposable ones full of desiccant that screw right to the gun at the air inlet fitting.
1637476955786.png

dhcomp

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score

dhcomp

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Rockwell gun set and regulator en route.

Not sure when i'm going to start this project, but collecting parts slowly and on sale will make it happen.

Respirators - Full or half face?

Will be wearing eye protection, so full face seems the easiest. Will be a cheap frame, like this. Thoughts?

Last edited:

dhcomp

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Picking up this old beast of a compressor. Tank is a bit small, but for the price and use, think it will work. Can always add a second tank for the painting project. Or send it down the Craigslist road if it isn’t sufficient.
plus, it’s old. I love old stuff.

15F9E6B3-A439-4429-92E1-0CCDBD4F8E98.png

Top Bottom