Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

can I tow with a locker

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WARP1, Jan 28, 2002.

1. WARP1

WARP1 Registered Member

I know you aren't suspposed to tow with a locker. But, what is the weak link if I tow (say a car and trailer up to about 6000lbs) with a 14ff, detroit locker, np203, and a th350. Would u-joints give out, over heat the trans, or just excessive tire wear. If I can't tow with the locker I need to get a limited slip or an ARB and 14sf.

'73 Blazer, 4" lift, 33" BFG Muds

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Why can't you tow with a locker? I've never heard of it.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

3. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

It's crap. I've towed a 17' trailer loaded with 5000lbs of junk a bunch of times with my 1/2 ton with Lock Right. You can tow, drive on the street, drag race, all kinds of stuff with a locker....

With a 14 bolt, you have absolutely NOTHING to worry about. Tow away, load that sucker down

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The only real problem is when you're towing in the mountains. If you're coming down a steep grade, using engine braking, and come into a curve, then when the locker disengages it transfers all of the engine braking to the inside wheel. The outer axle shaft gets completely disconnected from the drivetrain when a locker unlocks. It's sorta like hitting the turning brake for the wheel that's now doing all the engine braking. The truck wants to jump sideways towards the inside of the turn all of a sudden, while the momentum of the trailer makes the trailer want to go to the outside of the turn. If you're lucky, you'll just need clean undies... [​IMG] If you're not, well, in many places here in Colorado it's a long way down once you cross that white line at the side of the road! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Ya, you can tow w/ a locker...my dad recently bought a 2002 Chevy 2500HD and it has a locker in the 14BFF and it hauls things like a dream...

Chris

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Your dads new truck doesn't have a real locker. GM's come with Eaton Gov-Locks. They have spider gears, so the axle shafts never get disconnected from the differential, like they do with a Detroit Locker, Lock Rite, etc. They behave VERY differently.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ya, my 85 Jimmy came with a "locking differential" from the factory too. It is a gov-lock. They are half l/s half locker from what I understand. What I know is they suck, only work half the time and explode when you step on the gas real hard. Mine did.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

8. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I tow a 27 foot travel trailer with my 1/2 ton shorty that has a lockrite. Never had a problem in 4 years.

9. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Bunch of crap... I have towed with the Detroit in the rear of my suburban for a few years... and the y guy that had it before me for YEARS, and he even towed to California and back with it. Not a single problem with it.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

10. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

I tow my brothers Bobcat and 8000 lb brush chipper with a locker and have no problems. Don't even notice a difference.

'70 K-20 San Diego, CA
    I know, I can't spell!

11. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I didn't know you could tow without one....!! :)

Marv