CK5 Forums

Take a few seconds to register your free account to post topics or questions, and view exclusive content!

Carolina squat...

Big Ray

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Guess it was bound to happen...

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Although I agree in this case, this opens the door for more regulation on personalization of your ride, which I don’t agree with. although not mentioned, I wonder if the reasoning behind the bill is headlight projection?

fear_nothing

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Although I agree in this case, this opens the door for more regulation on personalization of your ride, which I don’t agree with. although not mentioned, I wonder if the reasoning behind the bill is headlight projection?
Agreed - but its the ole slippery slope analogy. Whats next? restrictions on tire size? Or legislation to outlaw bro-dozers?

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
Reaction score
Next should be diesel exhaust stacks .

And all these aftermarket sh!ty light options people buy . Had 1 this am @9am driving around led high beams on level of what ever . . And yellow fogs on melt level of brightness . .

Big Ray

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I was a young un with a CJ7, VA required any off road lights to only be able to come on when the high beams were on.

They use to teach in drivers ed that if you "flash" your high beams at someone and they crash you are responsible (liable) for that wreck.

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
While I think we all agree the squatted stance is effing stupid, I'm concerned about the law being put into place.

Slippery slope for sure. At least from what I read the law is very specific to the squatted style with lifted front and stock or lowered rear. So those that want to install the complete lift kit should be able to without harassment.

But the argument could be made if the government wants to control more of what we do this law would be the most recent precedent to call on.

Diesel exhaust stacks are already illegal if it's on a post 2007 as far as EPA emissions regulations go. The problem there is the local cops aren't going to know how to enforce the regulations. If you live where emissions testing is required you likely would see less of that crap.

Most states have regulations on vehicle lighting, lift/bumper heights, exhaust sound levels ect. With all the other things that law enforcement folks have to deal with I'm guessing stopping somebody for a vehicle modification issue is pretty low on the priority level. Savvy cops might use an infraction on vehicle modification regs as probable cause to stop somebody to sniff out other illegal activity.

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wish the verbiage of the law was pointed at the lift variance rather than total lifted or lowered amount.

Dear lawd, somebody please outlaw the stupid headlights with speakers.
I wish it would actually pointed at the problem, the lights aim.
I can't stand that look but it's none of anyone's business as long as they adjust the lights to aim right.
At least how it should be

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I don't think there is a truck out there that has enough adjustability to bring headlights back in line when the front is so much higher than the rear.

With what little adjustment there is at max down it's still not enough and pointing now more directly at oncoming traffic.

The lights are one thing but what about forward visibility in general? The normal blind spot immediately in front of the truck is massively larger than one that is level. Between that and the fact these goons never increase the brake size to deal with the much more massive wheels they can't stop for shit or see anything in front of them to try to avoid.

Addressing front and rear heights together helps address all the issues. Not just the lighting.

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is a truck out there that has enough adjustability to bring headlights back in line when the front is so much higher than the rear.

With what little adjustment there is at max down it's still not enough and pointing now more directly at oncoming traffic.

The lights are one thing but what about forward visibility in general? The normal blind spot immediately in front of the truck is massively larger than one that is level. Between that and the fact these goons never increase the brake size to deal with the much more massive wheels they can't stop for shit or see anything in front of them to try to avoid.

Addressing front and rear heights together helps address all the issues. Not just the lighting.
Stock adjustment yes.
But nothing on our vehicles is stock and when someone wants something bad enough they find a way.
Again not defending the stance, I hate it, but defending the right to do what you want as long as it doesn't harm others.
That is what I believe matters.

Big Ray

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on braking ability with the weight distribution altered...?

muddybuddy

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
This use to be the trick to get past headlight height law, would think they could easily be adjusted to comply with headlight projection/pattern. Obviously still other issues at hand like actual driver visibility and braking.

As for braking ability, i would think it would be significantly reduced because weight distribution is thrown off. Would also think may cause rears to lose grip and come around.

FDC4A2BA-A146-46BE-BEBC-762F72E8854E.jpeg

Top Bottom