Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Price Drop Chevy Dana 44 - 3 link, full hydro

Discussion in 'Suspension | Axle' started by truck-oholic, Jan 21, 2017.

1. truck-oholic

truck-oholic 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    Bought this axle for the outers and selling the rest of it that I can't use. Big money was put into this axle so someone can come away with a pretty darn good deal on parts.

3/4 ton passenger drop Dana 44 axle housing. 52.5" from upper ball joint to upper ball joint. Trussed and set up for full hydro steering, also has d-ring for suck down winch. No outers so you can install the knuckles and spindles of your choosing. All brackets are 3/16" thick except for limit strap tabs that are 1/8" thick. Lower link mounts are set up for 2.625 width joints. Upper link joint is 2" wide. Panhard mount is 2" inside. Shock mounts are 1.25" inside. Inner axle seals are in good condition. Ruffstuff 3/8" diff cover is included. Center section will need some repair by cast spring perch. Prior to link installation previous owner decided to grind out the diff housing to create an area to install spring plate studs and they got into the interior of the housing. They had it JB welded and I removed that to see what was going on. This axle was definitely not from a mall crawler, and the JB weld was still in place, no cracking or anything at the housing underneath so to my amazement it's evidently a non issue. That being said, if I were going to run it I would weld some material back into the housing but JB weld got it this far so who knows.

The axle had a welded 30 spline differential installed. Bearings and races appear to be in good shape. Needs a ring and pinion of your gearing choice. It had 4.10s in it originally.

Lastly, this axle came with some chromoly axle shafts with Yukon Super Joints. The long side shaft is 46" overall and the short side is 26" overall. The inner long side shaft is 36" and stamped 116 on the end and 11HS02 on the ear. The inner short side shaft is 16" and stamped 112 on the end and 9H04 on the ear. The long side outer is in good condition but the short side outer is broken and needs replacing. The super joints are in good used condition but will need some grease zerk fittings replaced. There is a spare set of shafts that also came with the axle. The long side inner is stamped MG20116B17276 683-197 MMG2 and the long side outer has 4340 cast on the yoke so these are both chromoly also. One of the caps has been welded to the outer ear so you can either keep this as is for a good trail spare or simply replace the outer for normal use. The short side inner and outer are stock Spicer units. Again, all inner shafts are 30 spline and all outer shafts are 19 spline.

I am willing to sell separately "a la carte" for the following prices:

Bare Housing w/ cover - $75
    Welded 30 spline carrier - $25
    All shafts w/ superjoints - $275

Located in Spring Hill, TN 37174.

Thanks,
    Jesse
    610 999 1546

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  2. truck-oholic

Build(s):
    Prices dropped in original post

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Build(s):
    The 4340 shafts have the welded in U-joint caps? Is it really possible to replace or rebuild the joint?

4. truck-oholic

Build(s):
    The shafts with the super joints aren't welded and they are chromoly inner and outer. The one spare long side chromoly inner/outer shaft has the joint cap welded to the outer so you could just replace the outer and keep it as a trail spare. The outers are a lot cheaper than the inners.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  5. truck-oholic

Build(s):
    Drive flanges are sold, original post updated and dropped price on "package" deal

6. truck-oholic

Build(s):
    Prices in original post lowered AGAIN, not going to find this stuff much cheaper anywhere else.

7. truck-oholic

Build(s):
    High steer arms sold, original post updated with remaining items and prices dropped again.

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Build(s):
    Let's see if I have it:
    • Set #1: all 4340, with Yukon joints, 1 outer broken
    • Set #2: long side is 4340 with welded cap, short side is Spicer.
    So the spare 4340 outer could only be swapped into set #1 by keeping that welded U-joint or possibly some careful machining (to get a complete 4340 set from this). In general, it should be planned to replace that one outer, which should cost about $135. Short term, a Spicer could be run.

From what I read, you can't run these in a 10-bolt, so I would have to swap to a D44. :frown1:

9. truck-oholic

Build(s):
    You pretty much got it. When i bought the axle i was originally planning on replacing the broken outer and using the outers and the super joints in my 10 bolt. The inners are 30 spline like my 3/4 ton 10 bolt but the lengths are different. The Yukon joints by themselves are around $400 a pair new. One complete set of 4340 shafts with Yukon joints is around $900 new. This is a better deal if you already have a dana 44 and can use the inners too

10. truck-oholic

Build(s):
    Everything above for $300, let's find this stuff a home

11. truck-oholic

Build(s):
    $50 housing and diff cover
    $25 welded carrier
    $250 all shafts and superjoints

12. truck-oholic

Build(s):
    Still for sale

13. truck-oholic

Build(s):
    Last price drop, I promise, won't go any lower.

$50 housing w/ cover
    $25 welded carrier
    $200 all shafts w/ superjoints