Colorado Trip 2019: Questions

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by TerryD, Jun 24, 2019.

1. ramack

ramack 1/2 ton status Premium Member

1) No regulations about "carrying" a chain saw. You do have to have a permit to cut firewood. You won't have issues if it's for clearing a forest road. Fire bans are going to be your biggest concern, so you're most likely not going to be allowed to have an "open" fire. It's been relatively wet in Denver and the high country, but it doesn't take long at all for things to dry out.

2) Colorado is an open carry state. If you have a Concealed Handgun Permit from your home state, check the reciprocity rules as I think VA is a little different than most states. I believe that VA recognizes my CO CHP, but CO does not recognize VA's. Verify it yourself though.

If you're driving, you will also need to check about the state's handgun laws that you will be driving through as well.

TerryD likes this.
  2. TerryD

TerryD Mildly demented... Premium Member

Build(s):
    Thanks for the info! I haven't found definitive info either way on reciprocity though. I'll probably have to look on CSP's website.

3. TerryD

Build(s):
  4. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Bushducks.com is usually pretty good for trail conditions. I live near some of those trails Mosquito Pass, China Wall etc, I will see what I can find out. I need to take a drive anyway

TerryD likes this.
  5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

express creek is the most popular aspen side access to taylor and it's closed by debris. You could still go over richmond ridge in theory but I don't know if it's open. Pearl is also closed on the aspen side by debris. Avalanches from both sides is the word I hear and it sounds like a real mess. Might not open this year.
    Rivers and creeks are also very high, like peak flow now a month after normal. Anything with a water crossing should be questioned.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    ZooMad75 and TerryD like this.
  6. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Just had a customer that came in to pick up something that does quads and side by sides. He was in Taylor park over the weekend. Every trail is closed leading out of there. Tin cup still has snow and the runoff has filled mirror lake to the point the tincup pass road the runs along the east side is 4 feet under water.

He also said Reno Creek/Italian divide was blocked by runoff and large downed trees. American flag mountain trail was blocked and they could not reach the start of Taylor pass. Looking like if anything opens it's going to be well into fall if at all.

TerryD likes this.
  7. TerryD

Build(s):
    6 days left! We met up Friday and discussed travel plans for getting out there and the areas we are going to focus on. Most of our route right now is in the Co Springs area.

Gold Camp Rd and Rampart Rd and the trails that are in their areas.

Brett got a subscription to trailsoffroad.com that lists most of the routes we want to take and their condition. Plus he has a set of the Colorado Backroads and Trails books borrowed from a friend that has been very helpful.

I'm working on getting packed now. Deciding how much I want to bring with me. I imagine since this is our first trip of this scale, we'll have a lot more stuff than we need. We can work on pairing that down next time. We even discussed taking a future trip to Moab is this works out ok.

8. TerryD

Build(s):
    Less than 48 hours till rollout!

ZooMad75 and mrk5 like this.
  9. ZooMad75

Build(s):
    You'll likely overpack, but that's not a bad thing. Have a good time!

TerryD likes this.
  10. TerryD

Build(s):
    For anyone who's interested, you can track me on APRS. I should be running it the whole trip. www.aprs.fi search for kt4oz-9

I'll try to check back into the thread during the trip as I get a chance.

ZooMad75 likes this.
  11. TerryD

Build(s):
    Well, day one was uneventful till about 6:30pm. We were coming up on O'Fallon, Il and all of a sudden the guy towing was all over his lane and on the radio saying something wasn't right. Turns out his driver's side rear tire had come loose and broken two wheel studs off.

We managed to find the parts in Belleville and limp the truck there. Then we got a room in Collinsville while eating supper at Sugarfire BBQ. We made it to the hotel safely and repaired the truck in the parking lot. Adam went ahead and replaced all 5 studs and lug nuts to be safe. The bottle jack and jack stands I bought this morning certainly came in handy!

We did about 650 miles today pretty easily. We're hoping to do the same tomorrow and be in Cripple Creek some time Monday morning.

Smokinthehippies likes this.
  12. Bent77

Bent77 lil meanie Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    It’s Monday morning

TerryD likes this.
  13. ZooMad75

Build(s):
    By the ham locator they are at the state park outside of Flagler. East of Limon. Probably not much signal out there.

TerryD likes this.
  14. TerryD

Build(s):
    Camped at Flagler Reservoir (or what's left of it) last night. Got into camp around 9. Pulled out of there around 8 am and I'm in the REI in Colorado Springs right now. One of the guys blew out a shoe last night and wanted a replacement.

15. TerryD

Build(s):
    Getting ready to leave Divide, Co headed home!

mrk5 likes this.
  16. Tnsejed

Tnsejed 6al4v Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I live 10 minutes from there! Hope you had fun on your trip!

TerryD likes this.
  17. TerryD

Build(s):
    I'm on the way I'm on the way home now! I left yesterday out of Divide Colorado, after lunch with my buddies who are going to be there another week. A few days ago, we were running Rampart Road, and the washboard at the top was so bad that it broke the clock spring in my steering column. So yesterday, I went to a Nissan dealership in Colorado Springs and bought the part, and then replaced it in a AutoZone parking lot. The folks there were nice enough to just let me use the steering wheel puller, without paying the rental fee since I was doing it in the parking lot.

it hurt, spending three hundred and eighty bucks on the part but at least I didn't have to pay them to put it in, and the 400 miles that I've gone since then, have been with cruise control functional.

18. Tnsejed

Tnsejed 6al4v Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Rampart gets pretty bad. Gold Camp has been holding up fairly well though. Either road, it helps alot if you air down.

TerryD likes this.
  19. TerryD

Build(s):
    We ran Gold Camp first. We all aired down before we started. I was at 25psi. The guys I was with ran Saran Wrap then we headed up Eagle Rock. It started raining on us and Krantz ran into a section he didn't feel good about. When the guy in the Toyota truggy turns around, I'm good with it.

20190716_123103.jpg

20190716_123021.jpg

We then found 379 that we rode to the top of the mountain where it intersects Eagle Rock and back down to the camp near the bottom.

ZooMad75 and Capt Ron like this.