Craigslist.....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ryoken, Dec 20, 2015.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Well,Impala's and Bel Air's both look the same to me...it's just a trim package ...:blush:...
    I've seen only 2 vehicles with the Rochester fuel injection that ran and drove...most of them had issues and parts were very hard to come by..
    One guy claimed a 283 he had with dual quads and power pack heads would smoke his Vette that had the fuel injection setup..

Saw this ad posted yesterday ,and the engine & trans are only 10 miles away...I'm tempted to grab both for $100,and gamble they are good,even though I dont really have a use for it--yet..
    ..you never see a carbed chevy engine around here,even a lowly 307..
    I have a '73 307 in my van and its not that bad...200 HP and 300 ft.lbs beats my 6.2's 140 HP and 240 ft.lbs..even if the engine & trans were junk ,there is still $100 worth of parts there...ram horns,heads,tranny core,etc..
    Chevy 307 and TH350 Tranny - auto parts - by owner - vehicle automotive sale

F.S.F.W likes this.
  2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Build(s):
    This must be the guy who posts on Craigslist that he'll bring a cord of firewood in the bed of his truck. I wonder what the turning radius is.

3. Scribbles

Scribbles Registered Member Premium Member

Build(s):
    The lake and back!!

F.S.F.W likes this.
  4. diesel4me

I ended up buying that engine & tranny..:blush:...

Paid $80 for both...engine turns free by hand,looks to have never been apart,even the carb was free,not rusted shut, and looks like it'll work..

I have to scrounge up a distributor cap and plug wires and put a starter on it to see if she'll run,and if it is good,or has a major headache..

I have a starter with the right nose (spare for the 307 in my van),and I may have the cap and wires in my deep pile of last century's leftover parts..

Story I got was the 307 was in a '72 C10 (the guy had it at his shop,its getting a 5.3 LS transplant)...said the guy bought it off the second owner,and decided to put a 454 in it from a motor home,but he only got as far as taking the 307 about halfway out,and lost interest and sold the truck..he claims the guy said "It ran decent,and I guess I should have just left the truck as it was"..so I'm hoping it'll run decent..

Edit---just looked up the engine code,"TAT" ,it is a 1970 307,originally came with a 3 speed manual trans,and comes up as a K10 truck listing--so I guess the engine was swapped in...(I was hoping it would turn out to be a 350,but with the smaller 2 bbl and only having the 2 starter bolt pattern ,its a 307 for sure--casting number confirms it too--3970020,which supposedly is a high nickel content block)..

The TH350 looks original to the engine--it has a small chunk missing where the bellhousing dowel pin on the passenger side goes,(the trans dipstick bolt area)--but it appears it will not affect its ability to be used..had nice clear red ATF in it with no burnt smell ,so it may be OK internally (A good quart poured out of the tail shaft onto my driveway while unloading it from my truck bed :mad:...me being in a race against darkness ,I neglected to grab my 27 spline slip yoke to stab in the tail before I went to move it out of my truck bed..

The engine has good ram horn exhaust manifolds (probably useless in a square body,but they sell good at swap meets),and an old "round" power steering pump like old Camaro's used..

Even if the engine turns out to be junk,cracked,etc,I figured I can scrap both for almost what I paid for them,and sell those parts mentioned above..

Now I need a cortisone shot and a week of recovery--my back feels like I have a sword stuck under my right shoulder blade..:(

My next score off craigslist might be some empty 55 gallon drums that had race fuel and motor oil in them..could use all 4 a guy has listed ,my barrel stoves are rusting thru,and it is always good to have a few clean empty ones around..was going to grab those yesterday,but ran out of daylight by the time I got my truck bed emptied out and the 307 & Th350 in my garage..

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  5. The Griff

The Griff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):

307? Eww, ick.

I've got a friend who buys every set of those ram horn manifolds he can find, he got them on every SBC he owns. He hates headers with a burning passion, swearing up and down that with two identical 350's, one with ram horn manifolds and one with long tube headers, that the ram horns will run circles around the headers.

I've come to own 4 sets of SBC headers this way, every time he buys a truck or an engine with headers, then come off within the day usually, then they come home with me.

F.S.F.W likes this.
  6. diesel4me

Yeah,I know the 307 is about as "desirable" as a straight six to most guys,especially those with a muscle car like an old Chevelle--I bet a million 307's got yanked out and discarded with nothing more wrong with them than flat cam lobes in the 70's..probably as many as the straight sixes people discarded with nothing really wrong with them other than their low performance..

The 307's were never a high performance engine,but are a reliable one,and they get decent mpg with the small 2 bbl carb--good for a daily driver in stock form,and if built up with the right combo of parts,they can do OK in a light vehicle and put out decent power & torque..fine for what I'd use a vehicle for..basically they are a small bore 327,or a stroked 283,in factory form..

I had several GM vehicles with 307's--a 1971 K10 Suburban,that I parted out had its 307 get swapped into my '75 2wd Blazer,with a Saginaw 4 speed from a '75 Vega behind it--it was pretty quick,with a 4:10 rear axle,was much better than the camel humper 250 six it had originally ..
    Also had a 1968 Chevy Caprice Estate wagon with one that had low miles,the cam was wiped out--after a cam swap & a double roller timing chain swap ,that thing ran like a swiss watch...my dad had a '68 Chevelle wagon with a 307 in it too..

Part of the reason I bought this was the fact I have not seen ONE carbed chevy engine in a salvage yard or even on the several online sales forums for a long time..if it turns out to be a decent engine,I'll just stash it in the garage,ready for whatever use I find for it..

The guy I bought it from has a "64 Nova wagon with a rebuilt 230 straight six that runs perfect--but he's going to LS swap it soon--he said he'd probably either sell that six cheap or even give it to me if I was interested--I am,but I'd prefer a 250 or 292,but those are getting quite scarce here now too..if I can get it free or less than $75 I'd just pickle it and stash it away too...be good enough to power a yard truck for plowing,a home made tractor,whatever!..

7. The Griff

Build(s):
    The 307 and the 4.3 V6 were, and still are, the only two GM engines I avoid at all costs. I can't explain why, but it seems that any 307 or 4.3 that I, or anyone I know, comes into contact with, only lived for a month or so before it meets an untimely end, or at least the 4.3's do, the 307's usually could be saved with new heads, pistons and a cam.

The two most recent 307's that I've come into contact with belonged to two good friends of mine, one was in a 53 3/4 ton Chevy pickup that someone had shoved it into years before, after a couple weeks of driving it, he pulled it out and put a 292 I-6 in there and never looked back.

The other was originally in a 70 Caprice wagon that a buddy of mine bought as a derby car, he was told it was a 350 when he bought it, and when he learned it was a 307 it came out in a hurry, and he dropped one of his bone stock 80's 305's in there. That 307 has been kind of a "Loaner" engine for a while now, if you NEED an SBC, you can borrow it for a while. It runs ok, but it has absolutely no power, a 1950 one ton Chevy with a 235 will run circles around that 307 in a 72 C20.

8. diesel4me

I had a 235 in a '56 Chevy 3200 pickup and everyone who rode in it thought it had at least a 283 in it,till I opened the hood...those stove bolts had impressive low end torque,despite only being rated at 123 HP.
    It probably had 4:56 gears too,which helped it feel more gutsy..

Most 307's were put in Chevelles,Camaros,Novas and big cars like Impalas and pickups...usually coupled to a powerglide and 3:08 gears,which really bogged them down...add a few flat cam lobes at low miles and its easy to see why they got a bad reputation for being gutless,one that isn't always well deserved..

The fact so many got pulled out in favor of larger engines (that were cheap and plentiful back in the 70's and 80's),is why the 307 is about the only small block besides a 305 you'll see for sale with a carb around here any more..and they are getting pretty good money for them due to scarcity..if you see a carbed 350 that runs in "drop in and use it" condition around here,it'll cost you at least a grand now..
    For a 350 engine you could get for $150-$350 easily not so long ago..

That is why LS swaps are gaining popularity,here there are tons of 2000 and newer trucks that are scrap iron due to rotted frames,but dam few old carbed engines left ..I saw at least 3 LS 5.3 engines with the ECM and harness for sale for $350-$450 on craigslist today alone...

9. campfire

campfire Adventure is out there! Premium Member

Build(s):
    This thought has been lingering in my mind for a few months now...

F.S.F.W likes this.
  10. wheels87k5

wheels87k5 Armed status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    F.S.F.W likes this.
  11. The Griff

Build(s):
  12. The Griff

Build(s):
    @diesel4me

While it's not a crapslist ad, It is on facebook. It's a 72 350/350 combo from a K5 that's getting an LS. Says it runs fine, but the aftermarket carb probably needs rebuilt.

He's asking $350 OBO for the pair.

[​IMG]

F.S.F.W likes this.
  13. diesel4me

Is that in your state ?...
    I rarely see any carbed chevy engines here,they are like hens teeth now..
    There was a guy up the street from me with a '72 K5 who did an LS swap,and he listed the original 350 in it that had a mild cam and new timing chain & lifters,for $450--I called to ask about it,he said a guy was on his way there to buy it,and would call me back if he passed on it..15 minutes later,he called and said "sorry,he did buy it"...

There is (or was) an ad on CL the other day listing two 327's and a 283 for $250 for all three,the oil pans were off,and the heads..not a bad price if they were intact or rebuildable,but nothing I'd run out to buy really either..there was an ad for a rare 400 small block ,4 bolt main,that ran good for $125 in a town nearby too..I had one of those and liked it,but looking back,I was lucky it had no overheating issues like 90% of them did...I bet that engine sold fast too..

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status Premium Member

Hmmm... I have 2 TBI 350's with harness and ECM I'm kicking around uses for. One in my M715, one in my CJ...
    But maybe an LS 5.3 would be better in the 715.

Though I hate the 5.3 in my 2001 Tahoe. I just like how smooth and quiet it is. The 350 in my '98 Tahoe could tow much better.

15. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

Its the Devils play ground. First thing that came to mind. Some sick things posted on that ...unholy place. By some sick ...subhumans What has been seen, Can Not be Unseen. Plain and simple. May God help us all from the deviants of .....( I have a feeling of disgust) Craigslist. Its what nightmares are made of. How many craigslist murders have occured? Fock that shat. Shut it down. Fine with me. Even though I use it to. Bought things off craigslist and sold mayby one item from adds. All you get is blasted with soan crap no matter what. Its awful though. Can we go back to the 50’s yet? Damn.

16. rdn2blazer

Delete. Wont go off on a tangent. Had one all typed up though.

17. rdn2blazer

I can’t imagine being a parent, considering what some of these so called adults do. And are doing. From violence to sex. The unspeakable crap. Nobody ever talks about. That maybe probably should be talked about. I don’t know, or have the andwer. Humans are doomed, if more don’t start living a different way. Also, look up how many murderers are walking the streets. Quietly set free. Living amongst who khows who? It happens.

18. The Griff

Build(s):
    One county south of me.

19. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status Premium Member

How'd we go from Chevy small block talk to violence and sex?? Did I miss a post? :dunno:

campfire likes this.
  20. rdn2blazer

Sorry. Back to chevy’s and small blocks lol