CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Cross over or High steer

SKUBASTEVE1010

Registered Member
Reaction score
I have a 72 blazer 4X4 Dana 44 front diff. The steering is sloppy / lose. New 4X4 steering gear. Jeep steering shaft conversion. complete new steering column from CPP. 6 in lift with 35's. All other steering components are original. My goal with this truck is a daily driver and camping rig. No rocks just dirt trails getting to camping or fishing. So I don't believe I need hydraulic assist. The truck has much to be desired with steering control. What would you guys recommend. I'm leaning towards cross over. But I want very responsive / precise steering. Thank you in advance. Also who would you recommend when buying a 2wd steering gear.

Bent77

curmudgeon Status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Cross over is nice because it eliminates some of that weird floaty type steering. You probably don’t need the high steer

Try Howe or Benchmark in Phoenix for 2wd stuff, or West Texas Offroad

SKUBASTEVE1010

Registered Member
Reaction score
Cross over is nice because it eliminates some of that weird floaty type steering. You probably don’t need the high steer

Try Howe or Benchmark in Phoenix for 2wd stuff, or West Texas Offroad
I am very surprised at how floaty this steering is and it seems to get worse. Would you recommend machining the knuckle or buying a new one?

Bent77

curmudgeon Status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
The angle of the push pull steering at 6” lift does leave a lot to be desired. You will need to have the passenger side knuckle machined flat to accept the steering arm

SKUBASTEVE1010

Registered Member
Reaction score
The angle of the push pull steering at 6” lift does leave a lot to be desired. You will need to have the passenger side knuckle machined flat to accept the steering arm
Would you recommend machining or just buying a new one?

Bent77

curmudgeon Status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Guess that depends on what you have access to. I have a friend with a mill, so I do my own

SKUBASTEVE1010

Registered Member
Reaction score
Do you know or have a machine shop handy? If not just buy an arm.
I have a machine shop in town that does that. It’s a lot cheaper than new but if a new one was worth it I would get what’s ever better in the long run.

Bent77

curmudgeon Status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
As long as the ball joint and tie rod bores aren’t trashed, it’s probably cheaper. Of course buying all of the parts is not

70jimmy

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
I would definitely do crossover, high steer if you need the clearance in addition to the crossover. I just bought a new 2 wheel drive box and arm. I do have hydro with a farm ram, but I have a little more lift and 37's.
Both of my knuckles were machined flat by previous owner.

K85 Octane

Tacklin' Fuel
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
The truck that took home the award for “best 4x4” at a Chevy truck show with about ~500 trucks + mine.... had stock tierod, full high steer, and a weird sway bar. The owner said it was “undrivable” without the 3. I guess to answer the question, you need all 3.
:surepal:

Greg72

#MIGHTASWELLK5
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a 72 blazer 4X4 Dana 44 front diff. The steering is sloppy / lose. New 4X4 steering gear. Jeep steering shaft conversion. complete new steering column from CPP. 6 in lift with 35's. All other steering components are original. My goal with this truck is a daily driver and camping rig. No rocks just dirt trails getting to camping or fishing. So I don't believe I need hydraulic assist. The truck has much to be desired with steering control. What would you guys recommend. I'm leaning towards cross over. But I want very responsive / precise steering. Thank you in advance. Also who would you recommend when buying a 2wd steering gear.

Might be a lack of caster in the front end after that lift was installed.

If by "floaty" you mean that the truck doesn't want to track straight and wanders easily... and steering doesn't really "return to center" on it's own after a turn... those are all characteristics of a low caster value.

-G

SKUBASTEVE1010

Registered Member
Reaction score
Might be a lack of caster in the front end after that lift was installed.

If by "floaty" you mean that the truck doesn't want to track straight and wanders easily... and steering doesn't really "return to center" on it's own after a turn... those are all characteristics of a low caster value.

-G
She tracks straight down the road. By floaty I mean the steering is not tight, not as responsive as it should be. There is more play (she does wander) than there should be. I did have an alignment done a couple of months back.

Burt4x4

1 Ton First Gen
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some of the slop/play in your steering wheel can be reduced by tightening the set screw on your steering gearbox... but get it too tight it will run hot and reduce it's life expectancy/fail. Rag joint shaft upgrade to a U joint shaft is also a way to remove steering wheel 'play'..

Greg72

#MIGHTASWELLK5
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The truck that took home the award for “best 4x4” at a Chevy truck show with about ~500 trucks + mine.... had stock tierod, full high steer, and a weird sway bar. The owner said it was “undrivable” without the 3. I guess to answer the question, you need all 3.
:surepal:
Surprised there wasn't a set of dual-steering stabilizers (or TWO sets) on a sweet setup like that.

-G

19Tim69

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know this is older but have you cut & turned your inner Cs? I turned mine back 6° And the difference was amazing

Top Bottom