Crossover steering or not?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I'm a month away from rebuilding my D60 for the front end of my 76 K5. I have 6 inch TC springs going on up front and a Corp14ff going into the rear w/ 2 inch TC's and the ORD shackle flip. I'm concerned about the front swaybar coming off if I choose to go to crossover steering. I already have an MOO engine crossmember and would go with Dedenbear knuckles and probably the ORD crossover setup. My dilemma is that I drive long highway distances to wheel many times. Keep the swaybar and and go with a modified draglink and steering arm? Or, crossover steering and don't sweat the swaybar? So, here is the poll:

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I don't have crossover yet, but I don't run a swaybar. I only have 2.5" lift sofar and I don't miss it. My body rolls a fair amount, but I think when I go to 4" springs soon it will be fine. I drove my truck 1000 miles to Colorado from AZ and back without my bar. No worries for me. I don't miss it at all. Crossover is on the way too. I am 3/4 ton if it makes a difference.

harley

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I bought Sky's crossover steering kit for $319 to the door and I wouldn't do it any other way.

It's just not worth $320 to NOT do this swap.

4. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I'm runnig your exact setup, 6"TC's/2"TC's
    +flip, I'm running the sky's kit, and other than a little lean on Hwy interchanges, i dont' notice a bit that the swaybar is gone.

5. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

You forgot: Lose the sway bar, skip the cross over steering.

Bill

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    You forgot: Lose the sway bar, skip the cross over steering.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol! as if that was a worthwhile option. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sway bars arent useful for much unless you have a mad flexy suspension. That said, even if I did have a front suspension that could get all crazy with flex, I wouldnt run a factory-style sway bar to control it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

7. Desert Rat

How much gear to you pack in there? I tend to take everything and the kitchen sink since I'm waaaaaaay out in the boonies for a week at a time. I was thinking adjustable shocks would let me stiffen up for the highway, and loosen up for the trail.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I was SURE I'd miss my swaybar, but even after removing it, even with stock steering I have had no issues.

9. Desert Rat

Well, it's looking like the likely direction is to go with the crossover steering and dump the swaybar.

10. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Well, its not the lightest 4x4 in my pack of dogs, i usually have every tool i own and every spare part on myshelf in my truck when i head out, pluss all the normal stuff fro a weekend, and like i said other than on interchanges and u-turns i harldy notice it, now of course if you have to do any evasive driving, which seems like every morning here in So Cal, it'll sway a little but under normal driving i don't notice a significant difference.

11. Desert Rat

I guess I'll just learn to live with driving a bit more conservative. When I had my 90 Bronco, that TTB front end w/ swaybar let me haul butt on and off road. But, I had to get an alignment done after every wheeling session. Plus it had too many electronics so I dumped it in favor of simplicity. I'll just have to stay off the pedal in the turns. Give something to get something I suppose.... Leland, I notice on the SCBD site your rig has the 6 inch TC lift and you are running 37's. You have a 2 inch body lift but did you do any sheet metal trimming? I had planned on going with 35's but would love to do 37's. However, I have a really clean body and don't want to trim it if I don't have to. I did a 3 inch body lift on my Bronco and hated the way it felt so I would prefer not to do one again. A friend of mine has an 86 pickup w/ a 4 inch lift and 35's. He rubs a tad. I know ORD has a 1 inch body lift. Perhaps the 6 inch suspension and a 1 inch body lift would clear 37's?

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I bought Sky's crossover steering kit for $319 to the door and I wouldn't do it any other way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats this Sky company?

13. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

14. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status