D/FW full top conversion

FtwK5

Premium Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a shop in the D/FW, TX area to talk to about doing a full convertible conversion? I have zero welding experience, and that's not something I wanna try to tackle, myself. I dont want it to just be a hack job that'll never see a top again...need it to be done right so everything fits and seals properly. I asked a pretty reputable off-road shop for recommendations...and they said that's a really big job, and they've never even heard of that before. Please help, thanks.

fourwheelerjeff

Jeff's Offroad Emporium
Staff member
Reaction score
first off, do you have the windshield frame and top? the full convertibles have rocker boxes to strengthen the body when the top is off; those will have to be fabricated. the doors can be modified but you will have to get pieces for those also.

FtwK5

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have the top and windshield frame. I know the doors have to be cut, and I have the caps that go on them....but I've never seen any definitive info on what else is different...I think maybe the window track, or...? I'd get whatever parts I need, obviously...as long as they're available....but I'm not even sure where you'd get them?

I know the body needs to be stiffened up. That's why I talked to an off-road shop first....to see about putting in a cage. That's what I've always seen most people do, or suggest. But if there's a way to stiffen it up enough with rocker boxes, or sliders, or something along those lines, rather than having to do a full cage right away...that would be my preference. Just not sure who to even go to for something like this?

1300obo

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
@Jake_C_ is doing this himself right now and his build is the brandy build. Might be a good resource for you as you look for folks to help you with your conversion

fourwheelerjeff

Jeff's Offroad Emporium
Staff member
Reaction score

here are a few builds that done what you want to do. I did not know from your first post that you had the parts to do it.

Jake_C_

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m in the middle of doing mine right now, I’d say the hardest parts are behind me and it wasn’t that difficult, just tedious because you have to take it slow. If you know someone that can do the welding for you and you have the tools to make all your cuts I’d definitely recommend doing it yourself. I imagine a shop is going to charge you quit a bit for a job like that. I’d definitely start with stiffening the body. The windshield frame and top are all you really need because you can make the support pieces that go inside the doors. It will just take a little fab work. I’d be happy to help you with any questions on yours and I can get you specific measurements on the doors if you need them. Here’s a link to a really good thread on this if you haven’t already seen it. https://ck5.com/forums/resources/full-convertible-conversion.35/

Top Bottom