Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 is finally in, only a few issues that I'm mad about

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jan 3, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

D60 is finally in, only a few issues that I\'m mad about

You couldn't tell I'm mad if you were next to me since I'm smiling but I do have a few issues with some parts I was supplied with. The studs that came with my ubolts weren't threaded right, the nut bottomed out onto the end of the threads before it was anywhere near tight. Woudl have been fine if I had a zero rate in there but I simply don't. Replaced them with some grade 8 bolts of the right size I luckily happened to have lying around(got to love my dad keeping bolts). I then discovered that the springplates I just spent $50 on were not right, the one had the center hole drilled too close to the studs so you couldn't get ti all to line up, had to enlarge the center pin hole with a die grinder quite a bit. Spread the springs out with a pry bar and bolted her up there. Just waiting on a buddy to stop over with some rims and tires so I can wheel the truggy chassis out of the garage.

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

Re: D60 is finally in, only a few issues that I\'m mad about

POST PICS!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif doesnt sound too bad..

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah well you can bet I'm gonna call ORD and ask whats up with those studs. I would post pictures but my damn camera won't upload to my computer, it just decided it doesn't want to anymore. I will try and figure out how to use my mom's once I get it all outside.

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

another member and i were talking about his studs. if he had zero rates all would be fine. but he doesnt and i dont think will, so all is not fine. we will see once its under the burban for sure. but they look like they need about 1/2 inch more threads.
    Grant

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah thats the exact scenario I ran into. Like I said luckily I had some bolts that were perfect lying around, no way I was stacking washers for some ghetto fab fix. I know of instances where companies only design things to work with their products(as this would be if ORD made them for zero rates only) but I can't see a company like ORD doing that. I was glad to see they sent me studs and not bolts but what do you know the studs are on the shelf with the nuts still bottomed out and the bolts are holding my D60 to the springs.

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

yah i ordered my d60 ubolts and studs from ord... the studs were just a bit too long.. the nuts would run out of thread before it would get tight... would be fine if i was using zero rates.
    In my 14ff ubolt kit the nuts were the wrong size also. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif
    Quick trip to OSH for 2 grade 8 bolts and 8 lock nuts and i was back in business.

7. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    no way I was stacking washers for some ghetto fab fix

[/ QUOTE ]
    I got my u-bolt kit from superlift and the same thing happened. I ended up with 2" of space /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I was hoping ORD's kit would be a little different. Maybe they make it this way because of the 1-ton front springs? Needless to say I ended up with a few washers on top of my spring plates just until I can find the proper studs. No I'm not driving it like this.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

THe box they came in said Superlift, I had been wondering if they are a superlift product or they were just recycling the box.

9. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with my D60 ubolt kit. I called and talked with Stephen about it. The ubolt kit they, and everybody else sells is for a D60 in a 1 ton application. The actual 1 ton application has a thick, multi leaf spring pack that will work just fine with the ubolt kit. Problem is, if you are using aftermarket springs, with two or three leafs, it won't even be close. I have been using grade 8 bolts on mine for several months, with 5* shims, and an angled top plate from Tonyp with no problem. Talk with Stephen, but I think you will find the answer will be the same. (I got a superlift bolt kit from both ORD and 4WPW)

Just my .02

Congrats on the 60, BTW! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's total crap. My K30 has either three or four leaves in the front, totalling maybe 1" thick. My 6" Superlift springs have probably 6 leaves and are at least 1.5", much thicker than the stock spring pack if I'm off on the measurements.

Either way, this is a moot point, obviously the Superlift kit should be designed for lift springs and obviously it's jacked up.

I'm just going to use bolts on mine too. That's what came out of it so that's what I'm putting back in (never seize!!!).

11. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

If they are in fact Superlift u-bolts I was told they are made for a 6 inch lift. I was told that Super lift uses a block much like the zero rates to help achieve a 6 inch lift for the chevy one ton lifts and thats why the studs are too long. I asked because I used superlift u-bolts when I lifted my crew cab and you guessed it.. the studs where too long.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah the donor truck didn't have some bigtime front springs and my BDS 4" springs are most definetally thicker than any factory chevy front I've seen.

13. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

im running bds 6" springs with 2 springs missing and zero rates. Had no problems.

14. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

All this moaning whining and bitching about the lengths of D60 u-bolts and studs have got me fed up. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

No two aftermarket lift manufacturer makes their u-bolts the same length as other manufacturers. Each make their own to fit their own lift kits.

If someone were to try and get a set of D60 u-bolts, why not do a little homework and call each lift manufacturer and personally ASK them for the specs? A little bit of calling here and there will help out a long ways and get the right stuff they need. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Now in my past experience, different lift man. make different lengths. Rancho has the shortest u-bolts which are still longer than stock u-bolts since the Ranchos run on a thin 5 leaf setup.

The Superlift kit everyone complains so much about with excess threads is more for the Superlift brand and line of their HEAVY DUTY springs, which are a thicker 5 and/or 6 leaf setup. They had these D60 kits made, boxed, and ready to sell long before they started designing their thinner softer ride springs.

So why not everyone do a little searching or calling and ask around to get the length of u-bolts you need. This will save a lot of time and negativity shown or expressed to Superlift about their "little" D60-too-long-of-threads problem. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

IMO, I got the Superlift u-bolts because they are what I needed to fit the 1" zero-rates without being too short.

I have had Rancho and Skyjacker springs in the past and present and ordered Rancho u-bolts for these springs WITHOUT zero-rates and they fit like a glove and have the perfect amount of threads exposed above the nuts, which is about a 1/2" above the nuts. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Do some math, call and ask around. If no one is comfortable with their selection, go somewhere like a custom spring shop, Inland Truck Parts, etc., and order up some u-bolts in whatever length you want. This way I don't have to read about someone complaining about certain lift manufacturers "phuk-ups." /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):

You mean you want people to think...and live with the consequences when they don't???

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

It'll never happen.

Rene

16. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Tell us how you really feel. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

17. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Build(s):

[ QUOTE ]
    You mean you want people to think...and live with the consequences when they don't???

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

It'll never happen.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Probably won't ever happen. But shouldn't someone make a sticky thread somewhere that will have the specs of different brand of u-bolts and their lengths, etc. ? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

19. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I actually did some homework and Superlift was the only manufacturer that had a D60 u-bolt kit. Except of course ORD which happens to use Superlift u-bolts /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif If you can find another company that supplies the right sizes then I'll eat my words... I've got the fork in my hand right now. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

20. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That's total crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, It's a shame that you can't try to add something helpful to the discussion, in an attempt to help answer a question, with out getting this kind of response.

I made my phone call to ORD, spoke with Dr. Watson, and got the info/answer I was looking for. Just wanted to pass the info along.

[ QUOTE ]
    The Superlift kit everyone complains so much about with excess threads is more for the Superlift brand and line of their HEAVY DUTY springs, which are a thicker 5 and/or 6 leaf setup. They had these D60 kits made, boxed, and ready to sell long before they started designing their thinner softer ride springs.

[/ QUOTE ]

>This is the point I was trying to make<

So maybe I should have noted "Superlift Heavy Duty" instead of "1Ton" in my post.

Anyway, the point here is the buyer should do the research into the parts before placing the order. Hopefully, this thread will give others an idea of what they need in the u-bolt sizing