Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

D60 with 8 degree Offsets / What did you do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 45acp, Feb 10, 2003.

1. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

I have a Ford D60 in my Jimmy so I don't have this problem but fellow CK5er bought Offsets for his GM D60 and then asked this question. When his axle is rotated 8 degrees the 2 bolts that screw into the axle housing for the spring clamp bolts will not set level with the top clamp plate. The bottom of the bolt head will be on a angle of 8 degrees with the top plate.

My suggestion was to buy special wasers from McMaster-Carr. I looked these up and they are Spherical Steel Washers, one is concave and the other is convex. They mate together and can rotate for the proper angle. I don't know what size the GM bolts are but Ford is .625 diameter. I'll give 2 sizes from McMaster-Carr as follows.
    .625 = P/N 91944A480 and cost 12.14 each pair/set
    .750 = P/N 91944A490 and cost 16.31 each pair/set
    McMaster-Carr phone number is 1-562-692-5911 or
    www.mcmaster.com

How have you solved this problem with your GM D60 axles? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    I'd imagine the top spring plate holes would need to be slightly hogged too. Combine that with tapered washers and you should be good to go.

Rene

3. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

8 degrees

isn't that a bit much for a front axle??

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep.
    And yer making your steering caster angle 8* more negative. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

5. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

After rotating a housing, I would suggest plug welding the holes, then drilling/tapping new ones. Make a new spring plate with the holes drilled at the proper angle.

6. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Registered Member

i have a 12 degree shim on mine and what i done was screw in some allthread and heated them up a bit and bent them back to a strait shot and the plate went right down over them , i have been running like this for a long time now and so far i have had no problems but he will need to grind the knuckles loose and rotate them back or it will a chore to drive down the road , i tried to see how bad it really affected the steering and it was so bad i couldnt hardly keep it inbetween the ditches but i am running 12 degrees instead of 8 but im sure 8 will be noticeable also