Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dash lights....need help ASAP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88jimmy4x4, Nov 16, 2003.

1. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

WTF does this wire go too?

I removed the gauges and this wire was just hanging loose. It connects at the gauges in a white connector?

Please help...my dash is apart!!!

I know the pic sucks, but its a black wire with gold crimp conn at each end...looks like a ground or something to me..I dunno
    [​IMG]

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    That's not a ground wire, that's an optical fibre that goes to the side of the ashtray so you can find it in the dark. The end of the optical fibre provides a dim glow...

If you look around some you'll probably find a rather long post on dim dash lights, should have a ton of good info for you there.

Rene

3. 88jimmy4x4

Thanks, I see where it plugs in now.....thanks for the quick reply.

BTW.....I read the dash light thread...thats why I had the dash out to fix the dim lights /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

Ok, so I took my dash apart, but I cant figure out how to get the speedo out... The guages are stuck in the dash because I cant seem to figure out how to get at it. GRRRRR

5. tRustyK5

Build(s):
    On the back side of the cluster you'll be able to feel where the cable comes into the back of the speedo. On the underside of the cable there is a springy type of clip that acts like a barb to hold the cable in. Push it towards the cluster while tugging on the cable.

Install, just push the cable in while wiggling a little. The spring thing will lock in automatically.

Once you have it off and out it'll make a whole bunch more sense /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene

6. 88jimmy4x4

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok, so I took my dash apart, but I cant figure out how to get the speedo out... The guages are stuck in the dash because I cant seem to figure out how to get at it. GRRRRR

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...I went thru the same thing....like trusty said, theres a spring clip holding the speedo cable in, push it down while pulling the cable out.

This was definately a bloody knuckle job, I sliced my finger, scraped skin off forearm getting to stereo antennae and ripped skin off my knuckles /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

However, my dash lights are bright as hell now...I love it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. tRustyK5

Build(s):
    [ QUOTE ]
    This was definately a bloody knuckle job, I sliced my finger, scraped skin off forearm getting to stereo antennae and ripped skin off my knuckles

However, my dash lights are bright as hell now...I love it

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

After you've had the dash apart 8 or 10 times it's a lot easier and less bloody...

Rene

8. 88jimmy4x4

BTW....I plugged in that little optical fiber wire into the ashtray.....just lemme say this, I have seen fireflys butts light up brighter /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. tRustyK5

Build(s):
    Yup, dimmer than a blonde news anchor...yet it's just bright enough that you can find the ashtray in the dark. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene