CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Desert trip research- Big Bend national park and state park

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Looking to switch up our normal routine on our annual desert trip. The idea has been tossed out of the Big Bend area. Seems to check all the boxes we like for remoteness and scenery. What I don't know is if the trails are easy enough for Subarus or if there is more challenging terrain?

We aren't looking for full blown rock crawling but some technical that would actually require low range 4wd. We have done stuff like the Mojave road but 90% can be done in 2wd. While remote, as far as challenge to the driver it wasn't.

Who's been there? Any suggestions?

TankedUp

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
There are 2 Big Bend parks. Big Bend National Park and Big Bend Ranch State Park. I have been to Big Bend Ranch State Park. There is nothing really technical there. It’s more of a ground clearance thing. I haven’t introduced myself here yet (Guess I should) but I have 86 K5 6” lift on 35’s. I never had to use 4wd. One trail in the national park that they say is a bit more challenging but as far as I researched it it is only one step up in middle of the trail run. Now I will say it is slow going, lots of rocks and if you like your paint be warned trails are narrow with lots of spikes plants. HaHa I have lots of pin stripes. It took me about 4 hours to make 7 mile one day. It’s a big place takes a long time to get anywhere. I was there 3 days and only made it around one corner of park. But the views at most of the camp sites are great. In Big Bend Ranch Guale site #2 is the best campsite anywhere down there. The view is spectacular, but can be pretty windy at times. I’m trying to plan another trip back later this year and make it to other parts of park. Best place to look for info is big bend chat, tons of info there and helpful locals and park ranger hang out there. Anyhow just a bit of info.

Tom

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
There are 2 Big Bend parks. Big Bend National Park and Big Bend Ranch State Park. I have been to Big Bend Ranch State Park. There is nothing really technical there. It’s more of a ground clearance thing. I haven’t introduced myself here yet (Guess I should) but I have 86 K5 6” lift on 35’s. I never had to use 4wd. One trail in the national park that they say is a bit more challenging but as far as I researched it it is only one step up in middle of the trail run. Now I will say it is slow going, lots of rocks and if you like your paint be warned trails are narrow with lots of spikes plants. HaHa I have lots of pin stripes. It took me about 4 hours to make 7 mile one day. It’s a big place takes a long time to get anywhere. I was there 3 days and only made it around one corner of park. But the views at most of the camp sites are great. In Big Bend Ranch Guale site #2 is the best campsite anywhere down there. The view is spectacular, but can be pretty windy at times. I’m trying to plan another trip back later this year and make it to other parts of park. Best place to look for info is big bend chat, tons of info there and helpful locals and park ranger hang out there. Anyhow just a bit of info.

Tom
I had realized there was a state park not too far away from the National park. I checked out a couple of trip reports over on Expo and it did look remote, but not overly technical. But we've been in the same type of terrain where it takes all day to go a few miles. We are ok with that. Pinstriping isn't an issue.

I'll continue to surf around checking out details of the area. Thanks for the insight for sure.

TankedUp

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good deal. Forgot to mention the remote part. Yes it’s remote. No phone signaling lights no nothing when you get out there. It’s a dark sky park. Crazy stars out there. Didn’t see another person whole time I was there in park. But I like the challenge of making it an adventure. If any of y’all make it there let me know. I’m looking for excuse to get back, be nice to visit with y’all.

Tom

ZooMad75

#crawlabago
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Good deal. Forgot to mention the remote part. Yes it’s remote. No phone signaling lights no nothing when you get out there. It’s a dark sky park. Crazy stars out there. Didn’t see another person whole time I was there in park. But I like the challenge of making it an adventure. If any of y’all make it there let me know. I’m looking for excuse to get back, be nice to visit with y’all.

Tom
The remoteness is what we shoot for. It's also why we are nuts to go in June vs when it's cooler in the winter. Nobody normal is going to such a desolate place in the heat except us. I'm even more warped when my truck does not have A/C. A lot fewer people screwing around in the desert when it's hot out.

gonefishin

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would love to go check out the trails there one day. I have always wanted to go there, but just never have gotten around to it. Or felt my blazer was dependable enough for a week worth of wheelin. But I had most of those bugs worked out before i got stupid and popped this engine lol.

TankedUp

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
  1. ZooMad75 I hear you there. I like the remote thing myself. I went in April it was pretty good weather days and nights. June is hottest days but still 70s at night. Nice sleeping weather. I’m good with hot myself. I work as diesel mechanic on offshore crewboats in Rockport tx down near corpus (this is turning into an introduction post HaHa) anyhow work in hot engine rooms in sun day after day and seem to survive. Usually trips here on weekends is to PINS (Padre Island National Seashore) 60 miles of beach one way on same place off. It’s great place relax local and get away from crowds and cell service and nice breeze off of gulf.
  2. gonefishing Worth the trip. Get it running and ride on.

Tom

Top Bottom