CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

donor vehicle for driveshaft

Blue85

Yooper
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Please give me suggestions for a driveshaft donor vehicle. I need a decent amount of slip spline with a 1350 yoke at each end.

Blue85

Yooper
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
OK, so nobody had any suggestions. I couldn't come up with a vehicle that took something like this, either. I spent hours in junkyards looking at hundreds of driveshafts and finally found something that will work. It is half of a two-piece shaft from a 91 3/4-ton Suburban. Everything is 1350 series. I took the section with the slip splines in it, which is about 24.5" in the center of range of motion. I was looking for something 1/2-3/4" longer, but this will work short term with the seal on the splines removed. Then I will have it lengthened at a driveshaft shop.

This is for my Blazer with 14-bolt rear and slip-yoke eliminated NP208. Static length for this application is 35.25", in case anyone cares. (Stock driveshaft length is 29")

Blue85

Yooper
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Oh boy, why didn't I think of that? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

84_Chevy_K10

Banned
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
Oh boy, why didn't I think of that? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, roll your eyes at me, but that's where mine came from.

Blue85

Yooper
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Of course. It's just that what I really needed was make/model/year of some trucks that were 1-ton with fixed output.

The K5 wheelbase is different from anything 1-ton, so I didn't think I would find a direct bolt-in shaft, but I was looking for a good core that would just need to be retubed/balanced. As it turns out, it was very hard to find for some reason. Also, you can't call junkyards or do web searches for "drive shaft with slip splines and 1350 U-joints". You need make/model/approximate year or you have to hit every yard by foot and search them all over. Around here, there is almost nothing 1-ton in yards.

Anyway, I found the motherlode of junkyards. 6 big yards all within about 2 miles of each other and within 45 minutes of my house. 4 of them had a semi trailer full of driveshafts. Even with that, it took me 4 hours to find a good core.

Top Bottom