Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Edelbrock carb offroad kit

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TED, Apr 17, 2003.

1. TED

TED Registered Member

I remember reading about an offroad kit for Edelbrock carbs that prevents them from crapping out at steep angles. I searched but came up empty. Can someone help me out here? I have the 1406 model. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. J.Lance

J.Lance 1/2 ton status

They have a spring loaded needle kit. Helps some but not a cure all.

3. Big Sean E

Big Sean E Registered Member

I just put a 1406 in my truck and while they were at it, I had them put the "Off Road Needles and Seats" kit on. No probs with it going hard around corners, or when the truck gets bouncing.... yet. It's not a rock climber so I couldn't tell you about its performance on severe angles, but the whoops along the edge of the dunes didn't faze it.

4. Blackmagic

Blackmagic Registered Member

Ted,
    This is the part that you are asking about in your post. I was just searching today for a fix for my carb problems too.
    [ QUOTE ]

Off-Road Needles and Seats (pair) #1465
    Includes a pair of spring loaded needles and .0935" seats.

Off-Road

Although the Edelbrock Performer Series carburetor was not calibrated with hill climbing and other extreme off-road operation in mind, it can be made to perform superbly by substituting Edelbrock #1465 spring loaded needle and seat for the original needle and seat. The spring loaded needle and seat act like a shock absorber, reducing the possibility of flooding during off-road operation. After installation of the new needle and seat you must reset the float level to 3/8" and drop the float drop to 1-1/4" as outlined in "FLOAT ADJUSTMENT".

[/ QUOTE ]
    I got this info here: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/carb_acces.html
    and in this great resource I found on the Edelbrock site: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/eps_intro.html

This is the manual for Performer Carbs. I did not get any manual when I got my Carb new, so this is going to be a nice thing to reference for troubleshooting.

Hope this helps,
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifDominic

5. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

I have the 1406 carb in my truck as well and let me tell you that when you get these needles and seats the difference is night and day. I too have not had my rig at really extreme angles but wheeling up here in washington requires a lot of sidewall action and lots of bumpy up hill climbs. I have not had the thing flood or load up once since I installed the off-road kit which was a severe problem before. That manual also is really excellent. I did get one when I bought my carb and although its a little hard to understand at first it has all the part numbers and tuning instructions one could ask for!

6. TED

TED Registered Member

Thank you to all who responded, thats what I was looking for. Mine even flooded on a steep paved road so I figured it was time to do something before I get stuck somewhere.
    Oh yeah, and God bless America!!! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

For a quick interim fix, can you extend the vent tube with a piece of fuel line? Mine is extended about 2.5" on my Q-jet and I have had fewer problems than I did when things got a bit bouncy

8. yellow81k10

yellow81k10 Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif i put in the off-road kit and it helped out tremendously but it still want to load up and die when i have it on the rti ramp or at a steep angle to the side. check out this article at http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/carter.html it describes how to install the off-road kit and has a cheap fix for the off-camber sputtering and loading up. im doing this to mine this friday after work. one of my buddies did it to his edelbrock and no more problems. hope this helps ya. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

summit sells the kit for 8.95.. off road needle set
    i just ordered the edelbrock 1826 Thunder AVS off-road carb from summit...
    supposedly its an updated performer thats easier to tune.
    i'll see how it works and let everyone know.
    as long as it doesnt crap out like my holley, i'll be very happy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

how can tell what carb i have on my truck. its an edelbrock but were would the model numbers be on it?

11. Blackmagic

Blackmagic Registered Member

the number is on the front edge of the base plate on the left side when looking at the front of the engine.

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifDominic

12. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

ok i went and looked and it says 1406 then there a space then 1325. judging by what every body else posted about 1406 im assuming thats what model cab i have. but whats the 1325 mean?