CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Rcundergrounder

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks I was just playing with the idea of building a 383 engine.
So figuring out al components.
It will be run mostly on propane because of the fuel cost but I would like to be able to switch to petrol If there is no propane station around.
So when switching fuel I need to load another map with the android app?

Bent77

curmudgeon Status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Thanks I was just playing with the idea of building a 383 engine.
So figuring out al components.
It will be run mostly on propane because of the fuel cost but I would like to be able to switch to petrol If there is no propane station around.
So when switching fuel I need to load another map with the android app?
Yes, and it’s fairly easy. It will store the other tune

a propane plate over the plenum might be the easiest

Rcundergrounder

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, and it’s fairly easy. It will store the other tune

a propane plate over the plenum might be the easiest
I have currently a 305 engine with a impco 300 vaporizer unit on top of my edelbrock 1405 carb .
I still have to adjust it properly as with a cold engine it won't start on the propane, so before shutting down I have to switch over to petrol.
When building a new engine with fuel injection I want the propane to be injected as well for better starting, fuel consumption and automatic tuning by the proflo 4 unit ,which won't work when you use a vaporizer on top.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Over 3 months Edelbrock has had my throttle body and ECU, still no word. Tried email Monday, but haven't received a reply yet. So far with past emails they've called me back, but it doesn't usually take this long.

I did get a phone call from them out of the blue shortly before Christmas. Imagine my excitement when "Edelbrock" came up on the caller ID. But alas they were calling because they had some parts come in for warranty with no contact information provided. All they had was the return address so they were calling everyone in their system to check to see which contact info went with that address. I must say that doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about how they handle this type of warranty work.

The guy I talked to did say Edelbrock had contracted with a third party to help work thru some of the warranty returns. He thought that would lead to me getting an answer back in the near future. Don't think that is panning out. At this point I'm thinking either they have a cluster fck over there or there must be a lot of warranty returns to work thru.

Bent77

curmudgeon Status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Probably some of both. Sorry for the struggles

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
So it appears due to shortages all future ProFlo4 kits will ship without a tablet, as they can't get them.

The good news is they finished the Apple version of the app, so the apple phones can finally work with the PF4 as well if you download the app from your iPhone or tablet. So most won't need a tablet to set it up now.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
I should post the update/solution to my woes with the TPS erroneous readings.

@folkenheath was able to shake loose some action from Edelbrock - a good reason to buy from a vendor here on CK5. The sent me a new ECU and throttle body. However after all that, I started to once again have the TPS reading 10 to 14 percent sitting at idle before ever touching the pedal.

I started thinking of all the things that could affect voltage in the EFI system. One thing occurred to me. I have the fuel pump power directly off the harness. Edelbrock states in the installation instructions that you can do this as long as the pump draws less than 10 amps. I specifically purchased a pump from Edelbrock that would meet the requirement. I figured since everything else had failed to fix the problem, it was worth seeing what would happen if I put the fuel pump on a relay.

I drove the truck for 2 weeks and have not had a problem with the TPS. I'm pretty confident at this point, putting the pump on a relay solved the problem. I figure it worked okay for the first couple of months and then started causing trouble because the motor in the pump probably wasn't working as efficiently and started pulling enough current to mess with the ECU. It is an external pump so it's more prone to the effects of the environment and doesn't receive the cooling benefits of an in-tank pump.

It still surprises me the Edelbrock tech didn't ask about the fuel pump given all of the other stuff he had me do. But I think a large majority of people probably put a relay in. My line of thinking was that I had bought a specific pump to meet the requirement and adding a relay was just complicating the install and adding another possible failure point. If only I had been able to buy the in-tank sender I needed, I would have definitely put a relay on an in-tank pump.

You know a lot of people will say 99% of the problems people have with any brand's aftermarket EFI is install errors and technically I do fall into that category.

Bent77

curmudgeon Status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
So it appears due to shortages all future ProFlo4 kits will ship without a tablet, as they can't get them.

The good news is they finished the Apple version of the app, so the apple phones can finally work with the PF4 as well if you download the app from your iPhone or tablet. So most won't need a tablet to set it up now.
Is the software revision able to allow older units to connect to the iPhone?

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score

mine is on the shop desk and has a layer of dust on it since i just use my phone anyway . and saves us 100 bucks as the buyer .

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
No savings without tablet, Edelbrock has added 10% surcharge to all orders and the price with the tablet will remain the same now, just no tablet.

Part numbers without tablet are discontinued. They said the tablet prices are 3-4x from previous.

I believe the older units should connect to the iPhone via bluetooth as well, but I haven't confirmed that.

Top Bottom