CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Eileens 79 Corvette resurrection. Daily driving it.

ktmoutfront

Blazer Bash presented by 3W Fabrication
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Spent some time on the car today. Has a headlight issue. Doors come up and the lights come on. High and low beams work. All marker lights are working. Then the headights go off after 10 minutes or so. High and low beams. Then on______________off_____on____off______________on. You get the idea. No pattern or reason. Not bumps or dipps. Working the switch sometimes brings them back on, but not consistently.

So I start at the ground. It is good and clean. Leave the lights on in the barn, and off they go, then on, then off, etc.....:eek1: The left inside high beam bulb is not working. As I was removing it, it came on, all of the others are on. After messing with it a minute, I found that the stud from the bulb has an issue. I think that maybe this is overloading the circuit. And my local O'Reilley's does not stock that bulb.

Turned the shop radio off so I can listen for a relay or circuit breaker. Thought maybe someone added one as I found other weird stuff on the car. Like the C channel for the tow hitch.:dunno: Nothing found. I went through the wires that feed from the headlight switch, which is new a month ago because the dash lights were not working. Reostat was toast.

Everything was good in the harness. So now the switch is back out so I can check the feed into it at the switch. The left side of the dash has to just about come out to get to it. Good power in. Good power out at the tail light, dash light and headlight feeds.

Then the headlights go off. :doah:Headlight wire from the switch has no power on the back side of the connector. Then it does. I pull the plug. Remove the feed and headlight wire from the plug and plug them directly to the switch. Lights stayed on for 20 minutes. So back together it went. Lights go off after 10 minutes or so. Rock the wire and it comes back on. Pull the wire and crimped the end a little better. Lights went off after a short time. It has come down to the switch has to have a failure in it. After it gets a slight amount of heat in it from the draw, but nothing unusually hot.

Just weird.

Eileen spent her time stripping the carpeting off of the kick panels and gluing the new carpet on.

I Also tried to chase down the dome light always being on issue. Can not figure that one out either, but did not spend much time on that.

ktmoutfront

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I could not get the switch replaced today with the vacuum controlled version. Picked up a non vacuum switch so we could drive the car tonight. Installed it and left the headlights on for 45 minutes. No issues. Had to jump start the car. This may be important to remember later.

Put everything back together. Headed down town. Pouring down rain, but Eileen wanted to go to the corveCor club meeting. 15 minutes into the drive, I had to pull off the road to fix the wiper blade that was coming off. 10 minutes later, something was smelling funny. Eileen said it was a musky wet dirt smell. I'm assuming the cowl vents are full of dirt. Now wet dirt.

The as I am pulling off of the freeway, I notice a little wiff of smoke coming from the dash at the windshield. What the????? Turned the headlights off. Smoke stopped instantly. Switch was hot.

So we went to the meeting and left at 8pm to get home with a little light left.

So I am thinking that the curcuit breaker was doing it's job. Something is drawing a heavy load. I checked for a short in the headlight system. No ohm readings. All were open lines.

I am wondering if the halogen lights are too much of a draw for the old system. But I have never seen that before.

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Or maybe the wire size?
I’m sure learning a lot about corvettes

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
After dealing with Nick's truck wiring I've burned up all my ability to help figure out wiring issues. :haha:

ktmoutfront

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Spent 6 hours today working on the lights and wiring under the hood.

Lights with high beams on only drew 13 amps, so wire size and draw are not the issue.

Did some reading and found out other people have had the same issue with the aftermarket China switches. So reengineering the head light system is the solution. Ran a 10g feed from the alternator to a 30amp circuit breaker. Fed that into two 30amp relays. One for high and one for low. Fixed a bunch of harness that was screwed up along that side of the engine compartment.

The relays both only pull 0.13 ramps. Drove it to Culver's tonight to get my free custard. No issues.

The reason for getting this done before Blazer Bash is, Eileen is being voted in at the Corvette club next Thursday while I am gone. They go for dessert after the meeting. So headlights are important.

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Spent 6 hours today working on the lights and wiring under the hood.

Lights with high beams on only drew 13 amps, so wire size and draw are not the issue.

Did some reading and found out other people have had the same issue with the aftermarket China switches. So reengineering the head light system is the solution. Ran a 10g feed from the alternator to a 30amp circuit breaker. Fed that into two 30amp relays. One for high and one for low. Fixed a bunch of harness that was screwed up along that side of the engine compartment.

The relays both only pull 0.13 ramps. Drove it to Culver's tonight to get my free custard. No issues.

The reason for getting this done before Blazer Bash is, Eileen is being voted in at the Corvette club next Thursday while I am gone. They go for dessert after the meeting. So headlights are important.
Free custard for seniors?

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
So if you don't get voted into the club, is the drive into the desert to bury the loser and pass the car on to one of the members?

Oooohhhh, dessert not desert. Never mind. But I do like my story better

ktmoutfront

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Just driving the car. The club went for a fall colors tour. 8 Corvettes. We had the oldest. 197 of flawless miles. Even ran it down the freeway t 85.5 mph for 30 miles. This was the longest run yet.

Last edited:

ktmoutfront

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Just driving the car. The club went for a fall colors tour. 8 Corvettes. We had the oldest. 197 of flawless miles. Even ran it down the freeway t 85.5 mph for 30 miles. This was the longest run yet.

Good Lord that thing goes 855 mph. I had no idea it was that fast

Don't know what you are talking about.:whistle:

Top Bottom