EPA To Set New Emissions Standards For Bikes and ATVS

Discussion in 'Land Use' started by mudfanatic, Dec 1, 2000.

  1. mudfanatic

    mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

    Feb 18, 2000
    Likes Received:
    Aloha, Oregon
    I personally feel that this is ok, I feel that if we can keep noise levels down and emmissions down then that'll help keep a lower profile in the woods and people won't be able to hear what's going on 3 valleys over so they won't be so intent on finding any probable damage caused by the noise that they heard [​IMG]

    EPA To Set New Emissions Standards For Bikes and ATVS

    PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- The federal Environmental Protection Agency is taking
    steps to clamp down on emissions from off-highway motorcycles and all-terrain
    vehicles (ATVs), and may set new, stricter standards for streetbikes, the
    American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) reports.

    On November 17, EPA Administrator Carol Browner signed an official document
    declaring that off-road motorcycles, ATVs, and snowmobiles cause air

    That declaration is the first step in a process that will lead to proposed
    emission standards for those vehicles. Currently those classes of vehicles
    don't need to meet any federal emissions standards.

    Besides setting out to propose rules governing emissions from new off-highway
    vehicles, the EPA said it will seek comment "on possible emission reductions
    from highway motorcycles as part of this rulemaking." The EPA indicated it
    will take a close look at California's strict emissions standards for
    streetbikes as a possible model for national standards.

    The EPA is seeking comment in a variety of areas including:

    *Technologies that may be available to reduce emissions, and the cost of those

    *The timing and level of new emission standards;

    *Test procedures for measuring emissions from vehicles and engines; and

    *Compliance programs, including production-line and in-use testing by

    The EPA directs those interested in commenting to check the Federal Register
    notice, which is available from the EPA Air and Radiation Docket by calling
    (202) 260-7548 (refer to Docket A-2000-01). Comments also may be made by

    e-mail to: nranprm@epa.gov.

    Also, you can see the Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking and related
    documents on the EPA Office of Transportation and Air Quality web site at

    The EPA said there will be further opportunities to comment later when it
    publishes a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking in the Federal Register.

    More information may be obtained by contacting Margaret Borushko at: U.S.
    Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Transportation and Air Quality,
    2000 Traverwood Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48105; or by e-mailing
    borushko.margaret@epa.gov. Telephone: (734) 214-4334.

    <font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

Share This Page