CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

fabricators, what do you use to haul your steel

big83chevy4x4

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
im talking long stuff, 20 ft tube. i dont wanna break out the trailer everytime i need to get some tube.

i got my long box, its 18 foot long. im thinking about making somthing like a ladder rack with removable front and rear ends. keep it more perminate at the cab. put some big PVC on it and cap the ends. so all i have to do is slide the tube in it and put the caps on and go.

also is $16.60 a good price for 20 ft of 1.5" .085 HREW

sled_dog

1 ton status
Reaction score
my dad's freight train ford. Extended cab long bed with ladder racks, 20 some footers still stick out the back.

scoutillac

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
My new roof rack on my burb works great. State law here says it can hang over the back of the truck up to 4'.

Muddytazz

1 ton status
Reaction score
I actually just use my burb....one end out the tailgate and the other end out the pass side front door....20 feet of steel running right thru the burb. If I need to get mass quantities, i break out the trailer.

84_Chevy_K10

Banned
Reaction score
I was gonna say, a roll cage, I've seen safer cages made from pipe. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Resurrection_Joe

1 ton status
Reaction score
I've never hauled longer than 8' but I recall when building my flatbed all I had was the bumper on the back and I bought a bunch of 6' 2 x 3 x .120 and I just electrical taped it on to the bumper with about half a big roll. Steel guy laughed at that one...

BadDog

SOL
Staff member
Super Moderator
Author
Reaction score
I usually buy enough that they bring it to me for free. Some places have "free delivery" on orders as small as $100. Other than that, I use my 16' car trailer.

bowtiepower00

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
If they won't deliver, I use a roof rack. Built correctly you can haul a ton of weight on one. Just make sure to bring along a 2x4 or piece of angle iron if you're picking up flat bar

JK5

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
im talking long stuff, 20 ft tube. i dont wanna break out the trailer everytime i need to get some tube.

i got my long box, its 18 foot long. im thinking about making somthing like a ladder rack with removable front and rear ends. keep it more perminate at the cab. put some big PVC on it and cap the ends. so all i have to do is slide the tube in it and put the caps on and go.

also is $16.60 a good price for 20 ft of 1.5" .085 HREW

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Baddog said..have them deliver!!!
Tubing vendors are a dime a dozen in MI...
should be easy to find..

FYI...roll cages should be made from .090 and up..
mines made from .120... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4x4Freak

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
The oil field supply trucks around here use mounts on the side of the truck. They are made out of square tubing with a half round made out of flat steel at the top and a small rope to tie stuff down. They run under the body and mount to the frame. Most I have seen are removable.

Esteban86K5

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
My brother actually slid them under his truck and on top of his axles. He just strapped them to the axles and away he went. Crazy FOOL!!! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

big83chevy4x4

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
well tommorow i should be getting my mig and im also going to get all the other tools so i can make my "ladder rack" to haul the tube. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

Top Bottom