First Gen Spring lengths

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yellowK20, Oct 16, 2003.

1. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    How much shorter are they than 2nd gen ??? whats involved in using 2nd gen springs on a first gen truck?? has anyone done this ?? I have a set of 8" skyjacker springs for a 2nd gen and would like to use them on my "new" 69 longbed I tried a search but all I could come up with was that the first gens were shorter no actual numbers /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Build(s):
    Are you talking about fronts or rears?

Fronts on a 1st Gen are 44"
    Rears are the same as any other K5.

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

if its for the rear is the 69 another k20? cause then you are gonna need the longer springs. 56" iirc. front is still the same as a first gen k5. 2nd gen front springs are 3" longer . back is the same provided its a 1/2 ton or blazer at 52" long

69k5

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Rob and I experimented with a "mixed bag" and built him a set of springs from a rear CJ-7 spring pack. His are really too soft to be safe... but he seems to like them that way /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.....

Anyway, they flex like crazy /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    [​IMG]

Marv

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have a set of 4" TC EZ-Rides for a 2nd gen that I am in the process of installing on my 1st gen in place of some 1st gen 4" Ranchos.

I ground off the rivits that hold the front spring hanger on and moved it forward one hole on the body mount (about 1.8"). I am going to make some longer shackles to take care of the tail end of the spring. If everything works out how I've planned the axle will be moved forward just a bit and I will have a better shackle angle (along with 295# springs to replace the stiff 720# Ranchos!). I almost have one side done but I don't get much time to work on it so it might be a while till I'm done.

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Marv,
    Are those springs the same length as stock and just softer or did you go moving around the mounts?

7. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

The CJ-7 springs are a bit longer.... maybe 1.5" or so... Makes the shackle angle kick back a little..

I think we re-drilled the center pin to move the axle forward just a tich, and then added several leaves to stiffen up the rate. BTW, we estimated the rate by the old "have the biggest guy there stand on the leaf pack - while the lightest guy there measures the deflection".... We thought we had 250 or so lb/in... but to ride in it - they feel real soft... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Oh... and I think Rob had to whip up some custom bushings for them too...

Marv

8. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    cool it can be done !!! I've been wondering about moving the spring hanger forward and longer shackles were in the plan anyways /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status