full time to part time 4x4 hub converting question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bad_bo_ti, Jun 25, 2000.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

What all is needed to convert a full time hub to part time, do i just need new hubs? please let me know asap.

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about a full time transfer case or swapping out the automatic hubs? I saw in your bio you have an 84 so I assume you want to swap the autos for locking hubs. Just remove the old hubs and buy whatever brand of locking that you like. I Put Warn on my 83 about 7 years ago and I like them alot. Good luck

creepin and crawlin
    Jim

3. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

Ok sorry i didnt make myself clear, i have a 3/4 ton front 10 bolt axle that was in a fulltime 4x4 suburban, i want to switch it over to the part time(locking hubs) so it will work with my truck. what all do i need for this to be done right?

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

All you need then is to buy the hubs. Which ever you prefer. I run SuperWinch and couldnt be happier with them. Although everyone else seems to like Warn. I "had" a Fulltime 4wd 74 K5 and converted it to Part time with a Np205 tcase and manual locking hubs. They were easy to install, just remove the old ones, and install the new ones. Directions come with it.

5. Shawn

Shawn Nuckin Futz! Premium Member Author

Build(s):
  6. 79Cheyenne

79Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

After you put the manual hubs on, do you have to put the shifter into<font color=red> HI LOC<font color=black> or<font color=red> LO LOC<font color=black> or do you have to simply turn the hubs to lock? in other words wouldn't you be in 4wd when the shifter is in<font color=blue> HI<font color=black> with the hubs locked or is there a reason to put the shifter into<font color=red> HI LOC<font color=black>? I had always assumed that putting it in<font color=red> LOC<font color=black> actuated the automatic hubs(now that I don't have the automatic hubs do I still need<font color=red> LOC<font color=black>?)

<font color=red>LO LOC<font color=red>
    <font color=blue>LO<font color=blue>
    N
    HI
    <font color=red>HI LOC<font color=red>

<font color=black>Know what I mean Vern?

<font color=orange>1979 BLAZER Cheyenne[​IMG]

7. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status