CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Garage welder

TJ1978

I have MANY questions
Premium Member
Reaction score
im looking a getting an affordable welding machine. Something mess with exhaust or possible sheet metal imperfection on my trucks.

Is this one decent or is another in this price range better for working cars ? I’m not a pro welder nor do I aspire to be one. I like that it has converter though I know that’s not ideal but for what’s aim after it should suffice .
https://www.amazon.com/DEKOPRO-Mach...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not gonna do a lot of exhaust or body work with an arc welder. Make a bunch of holes. You'll need at least a mig for that.
I used harbor freights flux core mig for a while. It'll do the job.

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score

TJ1978

I have MANY questions
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not gonna do a lot of exhaust or body work with an arc welder. Make a bunch of holes. You'll need at least a mig for that.
I used harbor freights flux core mig for a while. It'll do the job.
Shit.. I posted the wrong link...hahahahah

warrpath4x4

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I suggest searching "cheap welder reviews" on youtube, there are some good reviews out there where people tear apart the chinese welders and check components and outputs.

myself I have a Hobart 140 on the bottle, but I also have a fluxcore Craftsman welder that I started with. I should have just saved the extra and bought the Hobart to begin with (looks like you can get one for $500+/-)

TJ1978

I have MANY questions
Premium Member
Reaction score
I suggest searching "cheap welder reviews" on youtube, there are some good reviews out there where people tear apart the chinese welders and check components and outputs.

myself I have a Hobart 140 on the bottle, but I also have a fluxcore Craftsman welder that I started with. I should have just saved the extra and bought the Hobart to begin with (looks like you can get one for $500+/-)
Too much... I want something under $200 I know it will have limitations, I’m ok with that

warrpath4x4

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
For about $750 you can go to Harbor Freight and pick up a MIG/TIG/ARC welder all in one. But thats more money, not less

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I’d search craigslist and pawn shops before buying the China Freight one. You can get new Hobarts and Lincolns for under $500

nvrenuf

I grind my welds.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score

Wes Harden

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
price of welder is just the start, flux core is ok. Gas is much cleaner so you'll need a bottle, a good hood will make you a better welder, good gloves, the china fright suck DHDD (don't ask)
a cart, a good extension cord 10 ga or better even 120 volt. long sleeve cotton shirts, welding will give you a sun burn. You'll need to import those to the Phoenix area. yup long pants and closed toe shoes too buddy. may be 2 or 3 angle grinders cut off blades, flap disc, grinding discs, vise grips c clamps. chop saw..... to be continued ......

TJ1978

I have MANY questions
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yesh, I just wanted a little welder to do occasional stuff on these trucks. Maybe make a patch for rust spot or fix exhaust or a hole in the floor. I’m not looking to make this a career or become the benchmark of welding.

TJ1978

I have MANY questions
Premium Member
Reaction score

HankScorpio

Customize everything
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yesh, I just wanted a little welder to do occasional stuff on these trucks. Maybe make a patch for rust spot or fix exhaust or a hole in the floor. I’m not looking to make this a career or become the benchmark of welding.
I have used a Lincoln Mig from Home Depot for over a decade. Flux core, 110v, plugged into a regular outlet. It worked for sheet metal, bumpers, trailers, axle swap, trans mount, exhaust, etc, no problem. I welded up some kitchen hood exhaust ducting for a work project, put it in the truck with a generator to weld up the support brackets for a solar array out in a field, used it to rebuild track carriers on a sno-cat and tons more. Under $500 and it has done everything I could want. Zero breakage and zero maintenance. I recently upgraded to a big Hobart 240v unit with gas but the trusty flux cored Lincoln sits right next to it for quick little welds or welds outside in the wind. You don't need to spend a ton, just spend it right. I still weld in an old Carhartt jacket, no fancy leathers and my gloves usually have some duct tape on them.

TJ1978

I have MANY questions
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have used a Lincoln Mig from Home Depot for over a decade. Flux core, 110v, plugged into a regular outlet. It worked for sheet metal, bumpers, trailers, axle swap, trans mount, exhaust, etc, no problem. I welded up some kitchen hood exhaust ducting for a work project, put it in the truck with a generator to weld up the support brackets for a solar array out in a field, used it to rebuild track carriers on a sno-cat and tons more. Under $500 and it has done everything I could want. Zero breakage and zero maintenance. I recently upgraded to a big Hobart 240v unit with gas but the trusty flux cored Lincoln sits right next to it for quick little welds or welds outside in the wind. You don't need to spend a ton, just spend it right. I still weld in an old Carhartt jacket, no fancy leathers and my gloves usually have some duct tape on them.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln...VpOvjBx3UdgsJEAQYASABEgLkp_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Top Bottom