Gear Vendors OD

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fireinthehole, Mar 10, 2004.

Anybody here have personal experience with one of these units? When I say personal, I mean you have one installed on your vehicle, not dads, friends, or I heard from some guy... I am considering buying one for my Suburban and just wanted to know how you liked or disliked it. They are pricey at around $2600, so I am trying to know as much as I can about them first.

Thanks- Mat

1. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

2. Thanks Mark,

I knew it had been talked about in the past. I too have TH400, 4.10s on my Suburban. I am just trying to make the motor a little more happy on the highway and gain a little gas mileage. Did you buy yours new? It seems about the only place to buy one is from GV and there is no discount there.

Mat

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The previous owner had the GV installed on the truck. I have called GearVendors the company a couple times over the past few years about another GV I was going to purchase from a member on this site and also about some misc parts for the GV I have now. They are not the most helpful people in my opinion. There are quite a few GV units that come available from ebay and on various forums. Once in awhile you can find a complete one for under $1000, but more often than not they are pushing 1500 for a complete unit for your application. Of course if you find a good deal you can trade or just buy outright the adapter for your application. There is a guy here in Phoenix that commonly sells used units on Ebay and in the paper. If you have a vehicle that you are pretty sure you will keep I think they are worth the investment. But if they are sold with the vehicle they don't really return the full retail price....just like anything else you put on a vehicle /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I bought 2, maybe 3, from ebay over the years. The one I did install was put on a '88 crewcab diesel with th400/4.10s. The unit is very nice and does help highway driveability alot. Mileage gains might not pay it off but the added driveablitiy was unmeasurable. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif.

5. Thanks for the info. I have seen them on ebay. The last time, I called GV about what I would need to make it work for my application, np241, it was around $650 for the adaptor. And your right, they didnt seem all that helpful.
    I would lik to put one on my Sub, and put a diesel in as well.

Mat

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I have a GV unit on my 76 Blazer. I have a 350 engine, a TH350, an NP205, and the GV unit. It is a really nice setup. I am however swapping to a 700r4 and I will be selling the GV unit within a month or so. The only decision will be whether or not I pull the tranny, NP205, and GV unit as a whole and sell it intact, or split it up, keep the NP205, and sell the GV unit separate. I have all the documentation for it. If I wasn't setting up a rig that will be used almost exclusively for desert exploration, I would keep the GV unit. For an all around rig, it would be a nice setup. It functions almost like a 6 speed since you can "split" gears. It also has that nice overdrive for freeway driving.