CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

GPS tracking without a cell signal

anwat

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
For quite some time I've been researching how to plot a real-time, or slightly delayed, track on a satellite image without having access to a cell signal or internet connection. What I would like to be able to do is plot my position on a google earth image in an area without cellular service.

I have a "SPOT" tracker now, that does exactly what I'm looking for, except it does it for people who are at home watching my progress from the comfort of their internet-equipped homes. Every 5 or 10 minutes the unit I'm carrying pings, and plots my position on a google earth image on their cell phone or computer. Also similar to a Lowrance GPS, which I also have, and it plots my position without any services, but will only do so on their maps which are saved in the unit via a SD card.

I have heard that Google Earth is slated for an end come July or so of 2021, with all the services that remain being contained on an app, there will be no more support for a laptop/desktop version of Google Earth. I do my exploring in the western states, so I really only need satellite images from the western US. I'm willing and have room to carry several TB of memory with me if I need to.
I've found at least one program that will do what I need it to, which can be downloaded at: http://blog.geoblogspot.com/2008/09/navigator-101.html. I have my Lowrance/Garmin antenna already, and know there are numerous others out there that can find me. But how can I run Google Earth without a internet connection? Can I save enough of the images and info to run it remotely? Do I need permission from Google to do that? Is there some other way to do what I'm trying to do? I know a bit about computers and technology. Not much, though, so dumb your answers down for me, please. Hardware I pretty much get, software not so much, and the whole networking and interfacing thing is foreign.

Any info or suggestions would be helpful....Thanks!

JoshHefnerX

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this helps or not, but I've been using an android tablet w/ Back Country Navigator. I've also used Avenza. Both are capable of downloading maps and run offline.

ktmoutfront

Blazer Bash presented by 3W Fabrication
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
onX. It is what all of the cool kids are using. Download the area you will be in and no cell service needed.

anwat

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this helps or not, but I've been using an android tablet w/ Back Country Navigator. I've also used Avenza. Both are capable of downloading maps and run offline.
One of the guys I go out with all the time uses Back Country Navigator, and it works great. Good resource for both foot and vehicle trails, but only the ones that are supposed to be there and have the blessing of the map making gods. That's why I'm trying to get the satellite images...only the really powerful can convince Google to blur their s---. As in you're not going to see what's on the runway at Edwards AFB. But a lot of things I find interesting aren't on the map, and I like "vacationing by google earth" where I check an area out and find what looks interesting while I'm busy at work, then plan a trip to go look at it in person when I get time off. Makes the night go by quicker....Its possible the new Google Earth app that comes out this summer will function like mapping software...but I doubt they will license it to be used on anyone else's hardware. We'll see.
onX. It is what all of the cool kids are using. Download the area you will be in and no cell service needed.
Ahh! That makes sense, since I'm not one of the cool kids. But yes, I think that may do it. I'm going to research a little more, but that looks like the ticket. I just need to figure out where they are getting their satellite imagery from, but it's the closest thing I've seen yet.....Thanks. Go figure, never even heard it mentioned in Los Angeles County. Probably not a lot of hunters out here...at least not for things you need a license to hunt.

anwat

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
One of the guys I go out with all the time uses Back Country Navigator, and it works great. Good resource for both foot and vehicle trails, but only the ones that are supposed to be there and have the blessing of the map making gods. That's why I'm trying to get the satellite images...only the really powerful can convince Google to blur their s---. As in you're not going to see what's on the runway at Edwards AFB. But a lot of things I find interesting aren't on the map, and I like "vacationing by google earth" where I check an area out and find what looks interesting while I'm busy at work, then plan a trip to go look at it in person when I get time off. Makes the night go by quicker....Its possible the new Google Earth app that comes out this summer will function like mapping software...but I doubt they will license it to be used on anyone else's hardware. We'll see.

Ahh! That makes sense, since I'm not one of the cool kids. But yes, I think that may do it. I'm going to research a little more, but that looks like the ticket. I just need to figure out where they are getting their satellite imagery from, but it's the closest thing I've seen yet.....Thanks. Go figure, never even heard it mentioned in Los Angeles County. Probably not a lot of hunters out here...at least not for things you need a license to hunt.
Update on this: Love it....Almost exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the info...Plus OnX's customer service/support is kick-ass! They will help you with any issues you have within a couple of hours!

Top Bottom