CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

has any one installed a remote starter

Chuy84k5

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
so I'm looking into installing a remote starter on my 86 k5. its been ls swapped so no worries about the chock on the carb.any help would be highly appreciated.

Wes Harden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Not sure what you are asking, you mean a remote solenoid to signal starter to crank? do you have a mini starter on the ls ?

prob should have started this thread in the garage section

Chuy84k5

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sorry for the blunt question. I'm trying to install a remote starter/alarm system. nothing fancy just trying to be able to start it and have the ac going b4 the texas heat comes back around.

Chuy84k5

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it can't be too hard I just don't have any experience in that type of electrical. I'm hella of good with stand alone ls harnesses so electrical that doesn't really scare me I just want some sense of direction. before I engage in this type of work.

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll follow, because as soon as I get my current ls swap done I plan to try the same thing lol.

:popcorn:

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
6.0 lq4, bored to a 6.2.

Chuy84k5

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nice cam, heads, turbos anything crazy ?

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
RV cam. Pretty much it lol.

SnackPack

Autopilot
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m installing a Viper alarm on my suburban. It’s a 5906v that you can find on Amazon. I’ll be configuring the remote start with a manual transmission.

It can be done on these trucks, but for proper dome light and door switch operation, you need to completely separate those two circuits. For example, the dome light is triggered directly by the door switch ground. You’ll want to run a dedicated ground wire from your dome light(s) to the viper control unit.

SnackPack

Autopilot
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also, I got door locks to work with the viper. I’ll be working on window operation this week as well.

Chuy84k5

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
cool man do you by any chance have a write up on it or some helpful advice on installation?

SnackPack

Autopilot
Premium Member
Reaction score
No write-up, sorry. It’s pretty straightforward though. I just mentioned the dome light issue because of you don’t separate those circuits, strange things can happen.

SnackPack

Autopilot
Premium Member
Reaction score
And for door locks, you need an adapter relay to change the lock trigger from (-) to (+). Though I think two door models might not need it, as I think they use a (-) trigger at the door lock relay.

Greg72

#MIGHTASWELLK5
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
so I'm looking into installing a remote starter on my 86 k5. its been ls swapped so no worries about the chock on the carb.any help would be highly appreciated.

Not in a Blazer but I have this one in my DD.

Worked amazing to help warm up a cold truck in New England winters.... and now it does a great job cooling off a hot Texas truck with AC in the summer.

-G

Abusfullofnuns

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good choice. Compustar is a top product that you don’t see as often as you should. I guess demand for car alarms has to be pretty low these days.

Chuy84k5

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
most vehicles have that from factory unlike our squares

Top Bottom