Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone here run this cam?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Feb 19, 2003.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

For a Big Block:

Comp Cams Xtreme 4x4

Duration:
    Advertised: Intake 278 Exhaust 288
    @.050: Intake 234 Exhaust 244

Lift:
    Intake .564 Exhaust .570

RPM Range: 2000-6200

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That cam sounds like it would be the hot ticket for a mud racer with a high stall torque converter. A stock 454 hits its torque peak around 1,600-1,800 RPM. It looks like that cam would move the torque peak quite a bit higher. With a stock converter it would be rather sluggish right off idle, but once it hits 2,500 RPM or so, then it would be like someone lit a JATO rocket on the back of your truck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mountainexplorer

I have a 4 speed in my truck. Think the RPM range is alright or too high for a manual?

4. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

That won't be as radical as you think it will. With the split duration it will act a little more mild. Should produce some impressive power with the right heads!

Mike

5. mountainexplorer

What heads would you suggest? I have two pairs all rebuilt and ready to go on. One pair is closed chamber (casting# 702) and the other pair is open (casting# 401).

The 454 I have is a late '80's motor and all stock as far as I know yet, so I'd assume it has dished pistons.

I'm hoping to get away with one of these cams, new lifters, and one of the two pairs of rebuilt heads I have.

6. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

With the dished pistons I would run the closed chamber heads with this cam. The open chamber heads will produce around 8.5:1 compression with the stock dished pistons. IMO that is too low for the cam that you want to run. The closed chamber heads should produce closer to 10:1 which should work out good with that cam. The only issue here is that you might run into detonation problem with low grade fuel. I would make sure and remove and casting flash and rough edges before assembly and this should help reduce the tendency to ping. This is all just my $.02 worth! I'm sure others will have differing opinions.

Mike

7. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

I'm running a .500 lift I&E, 218I & 228E @ .050 lift GM marine cam in a 427 with no problems. Pulls strong from 2000 to 5000 with peak torque around 3400. I think yours might be too much cam if you're looking for low end torque but a great cam for a 4 speed, low gears, (4.10's at least) and some free breathing heads and exhausts. Figure power will start strong at about 2200-2400 and go up from there. Mud bogging would be great! Since you already have the cam, you might try it and advance it about 2-4 degrees to help the bottom end torque some.

8. mountainexplorer

It's a 4 speed and I have 4.56 gears. But it will also be turning 39.5" Boggers. I want to enter it in the local mud bogs. I suppose running in 4-hi and 2nd gear would let me keep the RPMs where they need to be.