CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Have you ever been in an accident with your old square body that tore up the other car but not yours

1-ton

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just don't like it when people leave the hitch/ball in when there is no trailer. Is the point to break shins in parking lots, hang over your parking spot, rust it in place or to damage other cars?
Every time you see someone in a truck with trailer hitch, but no trailer you should punch them in the face.

Wes Harden

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
I leave mine all the time. My truck can have a trailer 1 out every 3 uses. Plus I have ball mount/receiver silencer that need to loosened with a 3/4 wrench or socket. I always back in to parking spots. I own the parking lane when parking, can't see well enough to back out of parking spot if the lane is clear.
So if you bust your shins on my trailer ball severs you right, you must be up to no good behind my truck backed into a parking spot.

scouthead

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Every time you see someone in a truck with trailer hitch, but no trailer you should punch them in the face.

I guarantee that if you punch me in the face, i will back my trailer hitch right up the hood of your cute little Miata. Im pretty good at it now.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
I'm afraid I'm with @1-ton on the hitch thing. Especially when I'm pulling into a space and the truck on the other side pulled thru and has a hitch hanging into my space. Or they don't pull into their space far enough and the hitch is hanging out into the driving lane.

Fastereddie

Sorry if I offended you. Not.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
I could care less about what anybody else does with their hitch. They can sit on it for all I care. Only reason I don’t leave mine in is because I don’t want some can trying to steal it.

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
I could care less about what anybody else does with their hitch. They can sit on it for all I care. Only reason I don’t leave mine in is because I don’t want some can trying to steal it.
Mine was stolen so I take it out when not in use.

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
About 5-years ago I was at a stop sign in my square body 4X4 crew cab with 10" lift when a small U-Haul box truck rear ended me. The driver was a black guy in about his early to mid-thirties. He immediately jump out and ran to the the driver side door of my truck. He started yelling at me to get out of my truck because he was going to kick my ass. I swung the door open to the point where he had to step back. When I stepped out his voice changed from screaming to quivering and shaking about him rear ending me was my fault. I also had my holstered .357 Mag in my hand, and I clipped it to my belt.

He then started whining about how having an 8" drop tow hitch is what caused him to rear end me. The drop tow hitch went right through the U-Hauls front grill, condenser, radiator, and electric fans without actually coming into contact with my truck at all. I told him to tell the cops how it was all my fault he rear ended me. He said he did not want to call the cops. He then proceeded to leave the scene of the accident. I do not know how far he got with no coolant in that U-Haul. When the cops came I gave them all the info, and that was the last I ever heard about that.
Well I have had some accidents with no damage on my chevy trucks but the hitch is the trick.
I had a 1969 Mercedes-Benz with a ball hitch solid mounted, no receiver or anything, and the suckered stuck out a foot.
So I was on a highway in the fast lane and there was a 1979 trans am in front of me, and suddenly he takes off, so I punched it to stay on his heel, but he suddenly changes lanes to the right.
I see 2 cars on the fast lane stopped and outside the cars, I was trapped by cars on my right so I just started stabbing the brakes, kind of like an ABS system and I stopped within an inch of the car, and then I heard screeching, cars behind me trying to stop.
I planted my foot on the brakes and waited, I got three impacts but never rolled forward.
The car behind me got impaled by the hitch, it reached the motor, it was a Toyota corolla hatch back, the rear was an accordion.
It was totaled.
My car had a 1/4" ding on the chrome trim at the edge of the trunk.
I couldn't believe it

shady

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
The locking pin I had was easy to snap off with a single hammer blow. So when I replaced it, I just went with a normal one.
I leave mine in because I don't like it flopping around inside the truck, and I use it too often to not carry it.

Yes I've hit it my self a few times. But I always blame myself for not looking. Lol.

Wasn't a square, and no other car involved, but I had one that blew my mind.
I had a 2005 Silverado crew cab for a while.
Me and my buddy went out booze cruising the country roads in the snow like dumb azzes. Sliding around and such. I came around one corner doing all right, and the way the snow was plowed it looked like the road was 2' wider than it was. Dropped the rears off the edge and it was sinking quick.
So I figured were either getting stuck half way across the road on the back side of a corner, or I'll give it a good old go for broke high school try.
I turned into the ditch, smashed the skinny pedal and held on. We went down about 10'-12', through a barbed wire fence, bounced up into a pasture and drove around and out to the road again.
I figured I destroyed the paint and such with the barbed wire. Didn't even want to look at it when I dropped him off.
Next day I went out, and couldn't find a mark :eek1: :dunno: .

Everyone that knew about it was shocked.
About 2 months later I noticed a small 1"-2" scratch on the driver's side fender where the fender, bumper, and headlight area all meet. And a small bit of ruff on the plastic there. Fence went In that crack, snapped, and flew free without touching the sides apparently.
Going back and looking at that ditch with no snow I'm amazed we didnt break a bunch of chit lol.

obijuank5

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
Episode 4 Movie GIF by Star Wars

It is me. I am bitches. I keep a 2-5/16 on me at all times. And one on the truck.

ramack

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not really a moving accident...

My son drove my '79 K5 to a youth group function at church. When ready to head home, he started the K5 and it lurched forward. The receiver hitch mount poked a clean hole in front bumper cover of a BMW that was parked in front of the K5. $2800 in damage. Our insurance paid it all. What's odd, is my agent or anyone from the insurance company never asked us for the deductible.

One thing that still happens as I drive east or west on Arapahoe Road in Centennial. Some of the side streets have poor visibility and drivers will stick the nose of their car out a bit too far. Just about every time when I'm in the Blazer, they will back up until I pass, ha.

Last edited:

4X4ForDad

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm 73 years old. About 2 years ago I purchased an 86 CUCV at a government auction and won the bid. Upon getting the truck I noticed my rear Military spec bumper was "overkill" in regards to a civilian sourced bumper! It had to be built to tow out tanks from muddy situations (JK). I then added a frame welded square tube hitch to the bottom of that. The military bumper has the tow/securing "D" ring extra mounts, Pintle hitch mounted to the bumper/frame. The bumper appears to be made out of 1/4' real steel. I pity the fool who rear ends me! Remember...Drive defensively!

blackhemirt

Registered Member
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I don't leave mine attached, feal like someone would steal it. Plus it looks much nicer with this gm hitch cover someone gave me! Screenshot_20220808-074836_Gallery.jpg

Top Bottom