help have problem no one can figure out!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scorpio, Apr 1, 2002.

1. scorpio

scorpio Registered Member

the problem i am having is that it seem that at slow speed while i am turning the back tires seems to lock up them release with a cloncking noise. i dont know if my diff gear is going out or if the drive shaft is binding up or if its something else. i have a 4" lift and the rear drve shaft has been extended and i did drop the trans and transfer case by taking the spacer that was underneath the crossmemmber to in between the frame and crossmember. i don't know if this did it or what! if someone has any ideal what could be happening to my k5 please let me know thank you.

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Maybe a stuck wheel cylinder for the rear drums?

I doubt it but, Did you pull off the cover and check out the ring and pinion?

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Do you have some sort of Gov lock unit? If you do, maybe its getting quirky. They are known for it.

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

My guess would be some kind of locker in the rear going bad..

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I'm with you on the gov-lock going out. When I destroyed mine, it would pop when I was going around corners. It never locked up, but it would pop something fierce. Usually it was just one loud pop per corner.

6. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Yes, be afraid of the gov-lok pop! My 10bolt use to pop any time I turned UNTILL...... You got it; that thing exploded and left me stranded for 3 days! I would personally recommend that you open up the rear end and check it out. I replaced my 12 bolt gov-lok in favor of an open differential waiting for a quick-lok or lock right.