CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Home Flooring Q

nvrenuf

Klaatu barada nikto
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
We've been in our house forever and we'd like to get rid of some of the carpet. I want to put down some wood-like flooring (thinking about some of the nicer scratch resistant / dog proof stuff) but I'm not sure where to start / stop. Currently our living room is carpet and the adjacent kitchen has older tile that's showing chips and dirty grout, would it be a sin to tear out the tile and take the same wood type flooring into the kitchen? I understand the heat related issues but the tile is cool at the base of the stove and dishwasher so I don't think I'd have temp related problems, my question is more of is it a style "faux pas" to put in the kitchen? Anyone done it? Likes / dislikes?

obijuank5

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
We have these neat rubber/vinyl plank flooring in the entire house except bed and bathrooms. Impervious to water and heat in the kitchen. Wipes up no big deal. 6 years so far of high traffic coming in from the garage with no wear. Three kids, dog, and a cat. And me who drags in all kinds.

I am so glad we don't have tile in the kitchen. I'll never go back.

K5Devil

Devil Status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I put luxury vinyl plank in my house. Used in kitchen and one bathroom. My advice, don’t get the cheap stuff. Get the stuff with the backer already on it. Make sure your floors are level. Then lay this stuff on. Waterproof, scratch resistant and guaranteed for life.

When doing the floors you need to lay out all the patterns you have. Mine had 5 different patterns in alternating directions. So you have to lay them in as random an orientation as possible so you don’t have two of the same board right next to each other. You do this by sorting them by design before even starting. Then you want to overlap the joints by no less than 10”.

Measure to the center of your room to make sure you start with full boards. It was expensive but totally worth it though.

FF4A0572-360E-49EF-8501-B88663E7D7B2.jpeg

4E194BEB-F90C-41E8-981D-1B2FB6A39502.jpeg

9586FAE7-1695-410B-BCE0-14641916A3FB.jpeg

TJ1978

I have MANY questions
Premium Member
Reaction score
We have this, came with the house when we bought it. It is a nice change from the typical tile floors found in AZ. Never ever carpet again.... never.

Don't use anything other warm water or diluted vinegar... or you'll get a cloudiness to it. My wife already messed up a few spots but whatever..

Our bathroom has tile and the kids bathroom some linoleum slab POS. Which is fine since they can't hit the toilet anyway.

93642A6D-ECB6-46F8-A499-4A61B4F5B20E.jpeg

B2A5B692-5CA3-4C68-A19F-795D07B42F81.jpeg

Last edited:

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I know alot of people rave about ceramic, but Ive had too many bad experiences with it. For every correct, nicely done job, I’ve seen twice as many that have cracked grout or broken or uneven tiles, when that happens, water gets in the cracks and rots out everything behind or underneath of it.
I Just put some LVP in my bathroom, and my kids did their whole first floor except bedrooms with it. 2 kids, a 85# boxer/pit and you’d never know it! Proper subflooring prep is highly recommended, but minor discrepancies you can get away with depending on the thickness of the lvp flooring.

AD5772E0-5CCC-4813-89A1-60CD1A062E5F.jpeg

D56CB0E8-88F0-40D2-91DA-A0FE1D3E07C9.jpeg

K5Devil

Devil Status
Premium Member
Reaction score
The one caveat is once you figure out a color you like. Better jump on it. Because when I went to buy the flooring they were out of every color we picked. So we had to go with something they had in stock. I like the way it turned out but we wanted something not so dark.

TJ1978

I have MANY questions
Premium Member
Reaction score
The one caveat is once you figure out a color you like. Better jump on it. Because when I went to buy the flooring they were out of every color we picked. So we had to go with something they had in stock. I like the way it turned out but we wanted something not so dark.
Yes, when a friend was doing their house they ran into this issue as well.

cheavyk10

5.slow
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I put click laminate in my living room and kitchen a long time ago (2006!!) and it's held up pretty well. One problem I had was the dishwasher leaked and got underneath the laminate and made it bubble up in the seams. IMG_20220623_205445152.jpg

nvrenuf

Klaatu barada nikto
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
This is great, thanks guys! I thought I was crazy for wanting it in the kitchen. lol Y’all’s pics look really good. Now I just need to come up with some money. :doah:

cheavyk10

5.slow
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Dude back in the late 80’s people put carpet in their kitchen and bathrooms. :haha:Those tear outs are always the worst.
Yes when I moved into my house it had carpet in the kitchen and bathrooms and the front and back porches had indoor outdoor carpet... uhh

K5Devil

Devil Status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes when I moved into my house it had carpet in the kitchen and bathrooms and the front and back porches had indoor outdoor carpet... uhh
Yeah, I don’t understand why that ever became a trend. It’s so disgusting to think about. My grandmas house had carpet in the bathroom and that subfloor felt like it was going to collapse underneath it. I ripped it out for her and laid ceramic lol

I also noticed your built in China hutch. I miss having built in storage like that. My layout doesn’t really allow for it.

Top Bottom