How hard is it to relocate the axles, and does it effect steering?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by PetaKane, Aug 21, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I'm sorry I know this has been gone over on this forum before, but I can't find any threads to answer my questions. If I buy 4 of those zero-rate add a leaves, for the sole purpose of using them to relocate the axles, how much work is involved. I'm sure there is quite a bit more work to be done in the front, right? Does anybody know all the steps you must go through? And does the 2-3 inches you gain in wheelbase make any noticable difference to the person behind the wheel?

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Build(s):
    Moving the front axle will cause extra bumpsteer (shorter draglink) so if that's already a problem for you, it's gonna get worse.....

I've stretched my K5 about 3 inches so far (from 104" to 107") it sure seems to work nice. I didn't scrape my front or rear on some STEEP stuff in Moab over the last few days!!!

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

search this forum under "zero rates" and some of the other associated terms, there is a lot of existing info already. One thing you may want to look at is the height you'll gain. We're looking at building a shorter zero rate just for offset purposes. That may be more what you're looking for.