Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

huh...210 degrees w/ a tranny cooler???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77Jimmy, Sep 27, 2003.

1. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Ok guys, I don't know how old it is but I have a Hayden fin and tube tranny cooler installed on my truck in front of the radiator. I'm running 33s w/ 3.08. My tranny temp gauge (also a Hayden) is mounted in the bottom of the pan, right the middle about 1/3 of the way from the front.

I'm running around 200-210 degrees just running around town??? This seems awfully high w/ a tranny cooler installed...am I crazy? I know the tire/gear combo isn't helping but still seems high to me. I have a new stacked plate cooler from Hayden, the biggest one the sold at PepBoys (3/4 x 11 x 11) ready to go in its place. Is it worth installing the new stacked plate cooler in its place??? I've read that the stacked plates are about 30% more efficient than fin and tube.

TIA /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Yes the staked plates are more efficient.
    That does seem a little high for temp.
    Is this running around town or highway temp?
    210ish is about the max you want to run as measured in the pan. However, TH350s w/o lockup converters will run around that range. The cooler should have brought it down.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, jump on summit and get the biggest stacked plate one they got. If that doesnt work, you could add another one of their frame-rail coolers before the fluid gets back to the tranny. Another thing ya might look at is using a nice synthetic tranny fluid which can operate at higher temps without burnin up and causing problems.

j

4. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

210 is when I'm running around town...couple of miles, stop, go, couple of miles, etc etc.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Make sure the sender has a good ground! If the pan is painted the bolts might not be grounding the pan to the tranny. Just run a wire from the neg terminal on the battery to the sender body and see if the temp changes.

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i put the b&m 24,000 gvw cooler in my truck and i got a b&m gauge to go with it..but the sending unit doesnt seem to be any good..never have fixed it yet! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

my guess is those gears are killing you. I had 33's and 3.42s initially and it toasted my tranny.

does it run stright through the cooler, or does it go through the radiator heat exchanger first then to the cooler. if it runs through the radiator first, ideally your tranny temp should be about 20 degrees less than engine operating temps. regardless, in this situation the tranny fluid should never be hotter than your engine.

edited** another good question already asked is do you have a lock-up torque converter, because those tranny's run cooler than a non-lock-up tranny. if you're not sure whether or not you have a lock-up torque converter a good way to check is to drive your truck until it is in 3rd gear (around 50mph), touch the brakes briefly (a few seconds)while trying to maintain your speed. if the rpm's jump up you have a lock-up torque converter if not then you don't. you should be able to hear the rpm increase, you don't need a tachometer for this test. **

Lance

8. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, Lance. It does run through the radiator first. I don't have an engine temp guage (yet) so I can't see the 20 degree temp difference. But I think I've solved the problem...click here.

Also, thanks for the info on the lock-up torque converter. I'm a little bit confused though. It sounds like from 88Silverado's post that it's the non lock-up converters that run hotter, not the other way around??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif BTW, what is a lock-up torque converter and why do some vehicles have them and others don't?

Lance, did you change your username to lefthand from Lance, or are you a totally different Lance? If yes to the first question, weren't you working on a job change a few months back? How did it go? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Lock up convertors should run cooler at higher rpms - no slippage = less friction = less heat

10. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

yeah, i got crossed up. like 88silverado and chris t said lock-up run cooler than non-lock-up. (i'm going to change it in case anybody searches this subject and comes across this post.) i'm not sure why some trannies have a lock-up and some don't. that's a question for the gm engineers.

as for the other, yeah i changed my username because i couldn't keep track of all the names i had on the various boards i visit. this way i'm the same everywhere i post.

the job offer....well, i got offered a nice salary, almost 25% over my current salary. this would have covered the cost of living increase and a respectable raise. but unfortunately the raise would have been used up entirely to replace the company vehicle i would have had to forfeit. (the new company required use of personal vehicle for company travel.) not to mention there was no re-location package. which means i would have had to sell my current house (with all the profits being eaten up by realtor costs because i live in a developing neighborhood) , plus deposits on rental property and coming up with another down-payment for a residence in the atlanta area. i tried to negotiate for some of these things but they were unable (or maybe unwilling) to accomodate any of my requests. so with all these considerations taken into account, it just wasn't worth it to my wife and me. advancement opportunities would have been somewhat better at the new place but not significant enough to make the sacrifice. soooo, long story short, i'm still in b'ham.

11. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hey, Lance, sounds like you did the right thing...weigh all the costs/benefits, run the numbers, and then make a decision. Bham is a cool place...always liked it over there. Just about the right size town. Be glad you won't have to deal w/ ATL traffic!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif AAAAAAaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

12. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Would the lack of slippage result in better fuel economy as a result of improved efficiency? I hope this isnt too bad of a hijack - if so, I'll be happy to post a new thread.

13. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

That is the reason behind lock up converters, heat is probably a secondary benefit....

14. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Exactly. It's real easy to tell on my truck since I have the convertor wired to a manual switch. Turn the switch off and the rpms jump without any effect on the speed of the vehicle or input from the gas pedal. At the same throttle opening those extra rpms are just burning more fuel to generate the same road speed resulting in less efficiency.

Since we're highjacking, one of the things I'm curious about is the feasibility of a full manual valve body setup with a switch like mine to lock the convertor in any gear. My only real complaint about the auto off-road is the lack of compression braking going down hill. Something I'll likely never build, but a locked TC in 1st going down a steep incline would be interesting

15. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Im sure you can modify it to lockup manually in 1st.
    The only thing to be worried about is if you hit the brakes, and lock up the wheels, you just killed the engine. Kinda like trying to stop with a manual without disengaging the clutch.

16. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Exactly what I was thinking, would probably be a PITA 99% of the time, but if you left it unlocked until you need it, might be feasible. Not something I'd ever put in a street driven truck, but for an off-road only vehicle it might be kind of interesting.