The tech support for my DSL service is very polite and professional. I would buy them all beer if I could track them down. My 512K DSL line, since a switch to PPPOE, has been pooping along at 212K or so, until tonight, where it hit a grand total flyinf dagger doom speed of.... 80K..... So I decided to call up ol' techy McGee. Nice guy. My end is sound (I BUILT IT IT MUST BE SOUND! GRAHAHAHA!) So I guess they'll need to do some dickering around. He suspected my line splitter, but as I recall, it was working fine back when I had a static IP and whatnot. I single lined it anyway and it was the same. The only thing I can think of on my end is that the cable I'm using to extend into this room is too long and crappy... but I don't think so. Unless I stapled through it or somesuch. I doubt anything would be working with a staple through it.