CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Ignition control module different? Manual trans vs auto??

scouthead

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I cant remember - is there a difference between ignition control modules in the 5.7 tbi engines?

My blazer is a 1988 with manual trans. The ecm is different than what came in a truck with an auto trans... i believe the knock sensor is specific to the manual trans... and i think i remember there was some other Manual trans specific sensors/ modules?
Anybody have any info on that subject?

IMG_1694.JPG

dyeager535

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't find anything that says one way or another what the differences are. Not sure Ive ever seen a listing for them either, like I have for the MAP sensors.

Something like this where info isn't readily available, I'll just use someone like rockauto to see if they spec the same part number for the two applications. Not always 100% correct the way the aftermarket tends to combine part numbers the OEM didn't, but in this case, TBI to TBI, can't imagine there is much to worry about.

But you need heat sink paste if you want it to last. If swapping modules, might want to swap the whole distributor, since the pickup coil requires removal of the distributor to replace, and they tend to go bad as well, with the age and mileage most are now.

scouthead

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
issue at hand- the motor i pulled had a lot of matched parts on it and has about 60k miles on it. Distributor drive gear and roller cam came out of a wrecked cop car with low miles... not sure i wanted to drop that entire distributer into another used engine with god knows what cam down there... lol im prob just being anal worrying anout extra wear and tear on an already used cam/dizzy!

Man- i had a lot of time and effort into all the turd polishing when i built that tbi motor. Only good thing about temporarily throwing the used stock engine in there is that i get to see if there was any seat of the pants horsepower gains in the one i built!

Im going to drop in the complete dizzy from the auto trans motor tonight and see what happens. Ecu, map sensor, knock sensor are all still matched from the origional set with the manual trans.

scouthead

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually, now that I think about it the knock sensor is from the cop car… I think the Knock sensor differed on cars that had roller cams –had nothing to do with transmission type

dyeager535

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
It should be based on displacement/application. Roller or flat tappet Camaro 305s spec the same KS.

Top Bottom